- Date Posted
- Oct. 12, 2021
- Software Engineering
Coalition is on a mission to provide security for all. Our cybersecurity and risk management platform brings together insurance, threat intelligence expertise, and cybersecurity tools to help our customers remain resilient to cyber threats. Together we are centered around one goal: harnessing the power of technology with the safety of insurance to provide the first holistic solution to solve cyber risk.
Our teams not only work to prevent security failures, but we help organizations mitigate and recover from incidents when they occur. Our approach is catching on. Coalition currently has more than 42,000 customers who have insured over $12 billion of their risk. and our distributed team works collaboratively across North America and Europe.
Founded in 2017, Coalition has experienced tremendous growth by remaining true to our founding values. That’s why we are proud to be named one of Inc’s Best Places to Work in 2021.
About The Role
As a Backend Engineer, you will be working across multiple software development projects that can range from API’s to scraping and ETL workflows. Your primary focus will be the development of server-side logic, ensuring high performance and responsiveness across the platform.
Our core platform is written mostly in Python with some services in Java and Go. We prefer to use the right tool for the job and make pragmatic decisions about how to scale and decouple systems as we continue to grow. We’re looking for someone who can navigate a cloud environment (AWS) with many moving pieces and systems to help the team understand how they fit into the broader puzzle.
- Be part of a remote team
- Write REST APIs on the back-end, and consume them on the front-end
- Writing back-end integrations with third-party services to aggregate data and process data
- Writing scrapers and web collection components
- Systems and data engineering: due to the large amounts of data we collect, speed and efficiency are perpetual concerns for our multi-worker architecture
- You will join our engineering team and work closely with our product design team. This role comes with a senior engineer to get paired with you and guide you on improving over time
- Review work done by other engineers
Skills and Qualifications
- 1-3 years experience developing software
- Proficient in modern systems architectures and implementation
- Python and one or more of its web server frameworks (e.g. Flask, Django)
- Golang with a demonstrable understanding of core HTTP REST implementations
- Unit and end-to-end testing
- Experience with SQL and NoSQL databases and data modeling
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools (e.g. Git)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English
- Cloud Services
- Apache NiFi
- Golang service best practices for concurrent designs
- Deployment automation and scalable infrastructure
- Understanding of HTTP / REST security concepts, including common vulnerabilities
- Other useful web technologies: Redux, Webpack, ES6, TypeScript, etc
Coalition’s culture is one that strongly values humility, authenticity, and diversity. We want to work with people of different backgrounds and different paths in life, and we trust our team members to take responsibility, share ownership and work for one another. We are always looking for collaborative, inquisitive and dedicated individuals to join our team.
Our culture is one of character, humility, responsibility, purpose, and authenticity. We are growing rapidly and that growth is enabled by strong teamwork, communication, and mentorship. We want people who are passionate about becoming experts in both the business and the technologies that support it. Our core platform is written mostly in Python with some services in Java and Go. We prefer to use the right tool for the job and make pragmatic decisions about how to scale and de-couple systems as we continue to grow. We’re looking for someone who can navigate a cloud environment (AWS) with many moving pieces and systems to help the team understand how they fit into the broader puzzle.
Recent press releases:
- Coalition Raises $175M to Build the Future of Commercial Insurance
- Forbes.com - Next Billion-Dollar Startups 2020
Coalition is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.