- United States
- Date Posted
- Jun. 14, 2021
- Software Engineering
Coalition is the leading provider of cyber insurance and security, combining comprehensive insurance and proactive cybersecurity tools to help organizations be resilient to cyber attacks. Cyber losses cost the global economy upwards of $1.5 trillion each year, and yet the majority of businesses are under-insured and under-prepared to manage and mitigate the risks of an increasingly digital world. Coalition is addressing this gap by providing no-cost cybersecurity tools to prevent losses, security and incident response services to contain them, and comprehensive insurance to help organizations recover from failures and breaches. We serve over 42,000 customers, ranging from small and midsize businesses to Fortune 500 companies.
Founded in 2017, Coalition has raised $300M from leading global technology investors, including Index Ventures, General Atlantic, Ribbit Capital, Vy Capital, Hillhouse Capital, and Valor Equity Partners, among others. Headquartered in San Francisco, Coalition’s team is global with employees based across the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Switzerland and Portugal.
About the role
Engineering Managers at Coalition focus on enabling teams to perform at their best by supporting projects throughout their lifecycle and the humans that work on them through their growth.
Our core platform is written mostly in Python with some services in Java and Go. We prefer to use the right tool for the job and make pragmatic decisions about how to scale and de-couple systems as we continue to grow. We’re looking for someone who can navigate a cloud environment (AWS) with many moving pieces and systems to help the team understand how they fit into the broader puzzle.
- Work with a cross-functional team including Product Management, Software Engineering, Quality Engineering, SRE, and Design to deliver value for our broker and policyholder customers
- Facilitate the growth of engineering staff members and look after the roster of the team
- Work with stakeholders across the company to help incorporate company goals and initiatives into the team’s backlog
- Work with Product to break down requirements, write architecture documents, and learn and improve on other parts of the software development lifecycle
- Work with other engineering managers on cross-cutting concerns such as dependency management, training, and other initiatives related to supporting teams and company initiatives
- Make Coalition a better place by taking on the unseen, unforeseen, and important items that come up along the way
Skills and Qualifications
- Computer Science or Engineering degree - related technical discipline or equivalent work experience
- Cross-functional engineering team management on multiple concurrent projects and on multiple teams
- Production experience with distributed cloud-native systems
- Performance management including one-on-ones, performance reviews, improvement plans and other processes for helping teams do their best work
- Working with both technical and non-technical stakeholders on projects with complex business logic
- Development and execution of hiring and growth plans
- Project planning and coordination with multiple stakeholders
- Understanding of software development and quality metrics like delivery lead time, error rate and application performance metrics
- 5+ years of engineering management experience - It’s not the years that count, it’s what you do with them
- Managing teams across multiple types of approaches (product, feature, matrix, etc)
- Managing remote and distributed teams
- Experience scaling agile practices across multiple teams (LeSS, Scrum@Scale, SAFE, etc)
- Business rules knowledge about some type of insurance products
- Development in distributed, event-driven and message-driven architectures
Our goal is to harness the power of technology with the safety of insurance, to provide the first holistic solution to cyber risk. Coalition’s culture is one that strongly values humility, authenticity, and diversity. We want to work with people of different backgrounds and different paths in life, and we trust our team members to take responsibility, share ownership and work for one another. We are always looking for collaborative, inquisitive and dedicated individuals to join our team.
Our culture is one of character, humility, responsibility, purpose, and authenticity. We are growing rapidly and that growth is enabled by strong teamwork, communication, and mentorship. We want people who are passionate about becoming experts in both the business and the technologies that support it. Our core platform is written mostly in Python with some services in Java and Go. We prefer to use the right tool for the job and make pragmatic decisions about how to scale and de-couple systems as we continue to grow. We’re looking for someone who can navigate a cloud environment (AWS) with many moving pieces and systems to help the team understand how they fit into the broader puzzle.
Recent press releases:
- Coalition Raises $175M to Build the Future of Commercial Insurance
- Forbes.com - Next Billion-Dollar Startups 2020
Coalition is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability or other applicable legally protected characteristics.