- Denver, CO
- Date Posted
- Jun. 1, 2021
- Software Engineering
Coalition is the leading provider of cyber insurance and security, combining comprehensive insurance and proactive cybersecurity tools to help organizations be resilient to cyber attacks. Cyber losses cost the global economy upwards of $1.5 trillion each year, and yet the majority of businesses are under-insured and under-prepared to manage and mitigate the risks of an increasingly digital world. Coalition is addressing this gap by providing no-cost cybersecurity tools to prevent losses, security and incident response services to contain them, and comprehensive insurance to help organizations recover from failures and breaches. We serve over 42,000 customers, ranging from small and midsize businesses to Fortune 500 companies.
Founded in 2017, Coalition has raised $300M from leading global technology investors, including Index Ventures, General Atlantic, Ribbit Capital, Vy Capital, Hillhouse Capital, and Valor Equity Partners, among others. Headquartered in San Francisco, Coalition’s team is global with employees based across the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Switzerland and Portugal.
About The Role
The Software Engineer is a generalist role and we have many projects and tasks that you can take on - depending on your preferred area of focus. You will join our engineering team and work closely with our product design team. As such, this role comes with a significant amount of autonomy and responsibility. You should enjoy the challenge of building large, scalable infrastructure and components from the ground up. Broadly, we offer the following areas of work:
Our core platform is written mostly in Python with some services in Java and Go. We prefer to use the right tool for the job and make pragmatic decisions about how to scale and decouple systems as we continue to grow. We’re looking for someone who can navigate a cloud environment (AWS) with many moving pieces and systems to help the team understand how they fit into the broader puzzle.
- Designing and implementing features and services for business logic of the complex and nuanced insurance industry.
- Writing REST APIs on the back-end, and consuming them on the front-end.
- Implementing robust document generation and version management systems.
- Writing back-end integrations with third-party services to aggregate data, process payments, send e-mails, sign documents, etc.
- Systems and data engineering: due to the large amounts of data we collect, speed and efficiency are perpetual concerns for our multi-worker architecture.
- Data science: using the data we have collected, designing risk-pricing models to better write insurance for technical vulnerabilities.
- Infrastructure: container based development environments, scalable microservices and cloud-based hosting environments.
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- Python and one or more of its web server frameworks (e.g. Flask, Django).
- Golang with a demonstrable understanding of core HTTP REST implementations or OpenAPI/Swagger scaffolding.
- React or other modern front-end development frameworks.
- SQL, ORM implementations and design patterns, and pure relational data modeling patterns.
- Demonstrable experience building scalable enterprise CRUD applications.
- Solid understanding of enterprise architecture and design patterns.
- Testing frameworks and CI/CD best practices.
- Git and agile workflows.
- Familiarity with our specific stack (Linux, Postgres, Python 3.7, SQLAlchemy, Flask, React).
- Golang service best practices for concurrent designs.
- Deployment automation and scalable infrastructure.
- Building service oriented architectures and distributed systems.
- Knowledge of other useful web technologies: Redux, Webpack, ES6, TypeScript, etc.
- Understanding of HTTP / REST security concepts, including common vulnerabilities.
- Solid technical skills in both information security architecture and penetration testing.
- Enjoy a highly fulfilling, mission-driven culture
- Health, dental, and vision benefits for you and your family
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Paid Parental Leave
- 401(k) plan
- Wellness and commuter benefits
- Flexible working hours
- Open vacation days
- We embrace distributed work; some benefits will vary by location
- You are an owner! We offer stock options to each of our employees
- Annual Salary Range: 100k to 160k
We are all here to build something we believe in and to make a company that will last. We’re also assembling a team of expert incident responders, threat and malware researchers, and security analysts to protect our customers before, during, and after a cyber incident. Our goal is to harness the power of technology with the safety of insurance, to provide the first holistic solution to cyber risk. Coalition’s culture is one that strongly values humility, authenticity, and diversity. We want to work with people of different backgrounds and different paths in life, and we trust our team members to take responsibility, share ownership and work for one another. We are always looking for collaborative, inquisitive and dedicated individuals to join our team.
Our culture is one of character, humility, responsibility, purpose, and authenticity. We are growing rapidly and that growth is enabled by strong teamwork, communication, and mentorship. We want people who are passionate about becoming experts in both the business and the technologies that support it.
Recent press releases:
- Coalition Raises $175M to Build the Future of Commercial Insurance
- Forbes.com - Next Billion-Dollar Startups 2020
Coalition is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.