- United States
- Date Posted
- Dec. 7, 2021
- Software Engineering
Founded in 2017, Coalition is on a mission to solve cyber risk and create a safer digital economy where everyone can thrive. Digital risk is now a part of every business and it’s no longer solely the domain of technical teams. That’s why we combined comprehensive insurance with proactive cybersecurity tools to help organizations stay resilient to digital risks like cyber attacks, funds transfer fraud and much more.
Our team works collaboratively across North America and Europe to prevent security failures and provide both technical and financial help when incidents do occur. Today, Coalition is the world’s largest commercial insurtech serving over 130,000 customers including many small businesses that rely on Coalition to help them chart a path forward in the new digital world.
As of September 2021, Coalition has raised $520 million from leading global technology investors as well as highly-regarded institutional investors including: Index Ventures, Ribbit Capital, Valor Ventures, Durable Capital, T. Rowe Price Advisors, and Whale Rock Capital, valuing the company at more than $3.5 billion.
Coalition has experienced tremendous growth by helping organizations of all sizes solve real-world problems and by remaining true to our founding values of character, humility, responsibility, authenticity and diversity. That’s why we are proud to be named one of Inc’s Best Places to Work in 2021.
About The Role
Engineering Managers at Coalition focus on enabling teams to perform at their best by supporting projects throughout their lifecycle and the humans that work on them through their growth.
This is a hands-on engineering manager role. As a hands-on Software Engineering Manager of the Renewals Engineering team, you will manage a team of software engineers. You’ll be the front-line engineering support for renewals operations, triages while enabling the team to build, scale renewals engineering service which is our business growth backbone powering our multi-line insurance platform. You will hire, grow, and coach teams. You will ensure the delivery of features and projects. Your technical skills will allow you to uphold the technical bar and guide architectural decisions. Your operational acumen will help us systematically improve the performance and health of the software we run.
Our core platform is written mostly in Go and Python. We run on Amazon Web Services (AWS) and are adopting Amazon Elastic Kubernetes Service (EKS).
- Work with a cross-functional team including Product Management, Software Engineering, Quality Engineering, SRE, and Design to deliver value for our broker and policyholder customers.
- Facilitate the growth of engineering staff members and look after the roster of the team.
- Work with stakeholders across the company to help incorporate company goals and initiatives into the team’s backlog.
- Work with Product to break down requirements, write architecture documents, and learn and improve on other parts of the software development lifecycle.
- Work with other engineering managers on cross-cutting concerns such as dependency management, training, and other initiatives related to supporting teams and company initiatives.
- Make Coalition a better place by taking on the unseen, unforeseen, and important items that come up along the way.
Skills and Qualifications
- Computer Science or Engineering degree - related technical discipline or equivalent work experience
- Cross-functional engineering team management on multiple concurrent projects and on multiple teams
- Production experience with distributed cloud-native systems
- Performance management including one-on-ones, performance reviews, improvement plans and other processes for helping teams do their best work
- Working with both technical and non-technical stakeholders on projects with complex business logic
- Development and execution of hiring and growth plans
- Project planning and coordination with multiple stakeholders
- Understanding of software development and quality metrics like delivery lead time, error rate and application performance metrics
- 5+ years of Tech Lead experience - leading small engineering teams
- 1+ years of hands-on engineering management experience - It’s not the years that count, it’s what you do with them
- Managing remote and distributed teams
- Experience with agile practices across multiple teams
- Business rules knowledge about some type of insurance products
Coalition’s culture is one that strongly values humility, authenticity, and diversity. We want to work with people of different backgrounds and different paths in life, and we trust our team members to take responsibility, share ownership and work for one another. We are always looking for collaborative, inquisitive and dedicated individuals to join our team.
Our culture is one of character, humility, responsibility, purpose, and authenticity. We are growing rapidly and that growth is enabled by strong teamwork, communication, and mentorship. We want people who are passionate about becoming experts in both the business and the technologies that support it. Our core platform is written mostly in Python with some services in Java and Go. We prefer to use the right tool for the job and make pragmatic decisions about how to scale and de-couple systems as we continue to grow. We’re looking for someone who can navigate a cloud environment (AWS) with many moving pieces and systems to help the team understand how they fit into the broader puzzle.
Recent press releases:
Coalition is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.