- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Jun. 1, 2021
Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
Cockroach Labs is the creator of CockroachDB, the most highly evolved cloud-native, distributed SQL database on the planet that scales fast, survives anything, and thrives anywhere. We created CockroachDB to unshackle teams from the constraints of their database. Join us on our mission to enable every developer to build world-changing applications!
Cockroach Labs is growing quickly, and we’re looking for an experienced Administrative Workplace Operations Partner to join our Workplace Experience and Operations team. You will play a hybrid role in providing high-level administrative support to senior-level executives, while providing on-site support during our San Francisco office build-out project. Upon completion, you will lead the day-to-day operations in our San Francisco office.
About the Role
As the Administrative Workplace Operations Partner, you are the backbone of the organization’s business operations and activities, acting as the go-to person for employees, visitors and service vendors. You will anticipate the needs of your executives and help them stay focused on their projects by resolving operational and administrative issues before they arise. In addition to being organized and analytical, you possess the strong business judgement and communication skills needed to interact with a variety of people and job functions both internally and externally.
You must be based in San Francisco for this role.
- Perform an extensive array of administrative tasks (calendar, travel and expense reimbursement management) for senior level executives. However, you may be asked to support ad-hoc projects for their respective department teams.
- Coordinate events, off-sites, and conference speaking engagements, candidate scheduling as well as any associated travel itineraries, including accommodations and venue reservations.
- Handle a full spectrum of personal details and needs for executives while maintaining discretion and confidentiality.
- Provide backup administrative support for other members of the team during absences, holidays, etc.
- Manage front of house duties including welcoming employees, visitors and all service vendors, helping to maintain the overall effectiveness of the office.
- Serve as the onsite point of contact for vendors, including catering, cleaning services, electricians/plumbers, IT assistance, and all contractors needed to run the office, and negotiate third-party contracts with vendors.
- Support planning & management for all in-house meetings & events, including coordination of any A/V and catering need requirements.
- Develop and oversee the Workplace Experience and Operations for the San Francisco team, creating a positive workplace experience in-office and remotely, including space planning and workplace project management.
In your first 30 days, you will work closely with our CMO and CFO to better understand their scheduling needs. You will familiarize yourself with their preferred mode of engagement and optimize their schedules to remain efficient with internal and external obligations. During this time, you will also be learning about Cockroach Labs culture and how to navigate the organization. You will work closely with the Sr. Manager, Workplace Operations and familiarize yourself with office and facilities management responsibilities, including understanding of the San Francisco office build-out project and workplace management systems.
After 30 days, you will have built connections within the executive team. You will be available for light, ad-hoc scheduling as needed. During your second month, you will better understand specific departmental initiatives and goals, build relationships with core team members, and how you can proactively support your executives’ efforts throughout the year. You will start to work with key stakeholders in the office built out project and take over aspects of this project.
After 90 days, you will be fully integrated onto the Cockroach Labs team and have built a trusted relationship with your executives, beginning to act as a thought partner, anticipating needs and guiding them towards making decisions on how to best utilize their time. You will have become fully integrated into the office build out project and working closely with vendors and key stakeholders to ensure the successful launch of the new office.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years of providing administrative support to senior-level executives and office/space management experience.
- A resourceful and intuitive approach to problem-solving.
- The ability to organize projects and multi-task responsibilities, working independently and across a diverse range of people and job functions.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills with the ability to adapt to various personalities.
- The expectation of complete confidentiality on all business matters.
- The ability to be a team player and pitch in to help team members meet deadlines; comfortable in a fast-paced environment with constant changes.
- Confident with a positive and friendly demeanor and/or customer service experience.
Reporting to Kitty Bromhead - Sr. Manager, Workplace Operations and Experience
Kitty focuses on creating the best possible workplace culture and experience across the Cockroach Labs team. Originally from New Zealand, she has run operations for renewable energy companies around the globe before moving into workplace operations in the tech industry in New York. A keen snowboarder and explorer, you can now find Kitty adventuring around New York’s playgrounds with her two young kids.
Peter Guagenti - Chief Marketing Officer
Born and raised in New York, Peter has spent the last 20+ years in the Bay Area and has spent his entire adult life working in technology. He started as a founder of his own digital agency in the mid-90’s, progressing to senior roles in consulting and agencies, before moving on to help build multiple successful open source enterprise software companies. Peter and his team understand and value the impact design, and have witnessed how great brands can help create great companies. He is passionate about building businesses, helping others create amazing things with technology, and having whatever positive impact he can on the world.
When he is not at work, you can usually find him out hiking with his two daughters, or traveling the world with his partner. He is also a car nut and avid racer and has competed in and won numerous road racing and rallying events across North America.
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
- Relocation support