- United States
- Date Posted
- Nov. 3, 2021
- Data Science
Cockroach Labs is the creator of CockroachDB, the most highly evolved cloud-native, distributed SQL database on the planet that scales fast, survives anything, and thrives anywhere. We created CockroachDB to unshackle teams from the constraints of their database. Join us on our mission to enable every developer to build world-changing applications!
About the Role
We are looking for a Senior Data Engineer to join the Data & Analytics team at Cockroach Labs.As a member of the data organization, you’ll help power data science, ETLs, self-service data, and tools to make us efficient and facilitate scalable decision-making. You Will be responsible for defining, developing and managing curated datasets, key business metrics and reporting across functional units at Cockroach Labs.
- Lead the design, build, and scaling of our backend data infrastructure (across data acquisition, pipelines, warehousing, etc.) using the latest in data engineering technologies such that the data platform is reliable, extendable, and performant
- Collaborate with engineering, product, design, and operations teams to build best-in-class data applications that will support Cockroach Labs’s missions and goals
- Provide strategic and tactical recommendations for Product, Sales and Marketing
- Create data tools to translate data questions into flexible methodologies that scale to improve operational efficiency and other key business performance metrics
In your first month, you will go through the Cockroach Labs onboarding process and start to build relationships with stakeholders across the company. You will understand our current data architecture and the internal and external resources we use to maintain it. You will start to prioritize the current backlog of data requests.
After 30 days, you will have a grasp on the major questions the product management team needs to answer, as well as the executive-level questions that require coordination between disparate data sets. You will update the roadmap priority and put in place key processes for building out this function. You will develop a point of view on the direction we need to take our data platform to support our product operations.
After 90 days, you will be fully integrated into the team. You will put in place the major processes for supporting Product and the broader organization, and make incremental improvements to our data platform that demonstrably improve our ability to make decisions. You will socialize a strategy for data in the Product team and how this will support the needs of other departments in the future.
- 5-8 years of experience as a Data Engineer using Python, Java,Scala or any other programming language
- Experience designing and developing data collecting and processing systems to handle large data sets. You’ll have the opportunity to design innovative data solutions and solve challenging problems
- 5+ years of experience and knowledge of modern data warehouse, building scalable pipelines and reporting/analytic techniques
- Deep expertise in tools such as Spark,Airflow, Presto/Hive, Spark, or any other streaming technologies to process incredible volumes of data, Looker, Tableau or other reporting tools
- Demonstrated ability in designing and implementing centralized modern data warehousing/platforms (snowflake/looker/segment/etc) that support self-service analytics
- Strong knowledge of data architecture, data modeling,statistics,data science and data infrastructure ecosystems
- Effective communication skills: Work with cross-functional stakeholders and present ideas in a non-technical way
Reporting to Veera Ilamurugu, Head of Data
Veera Ilamurugu heads up the Data Analytics team at Cockroach Labs. He is responsible for our Product data strategy and passionate about building and scaling businesses with data. Before joining Cockroach Labs, Veera was a Head of Analytics at Stitchfix, Leading analytics team covering internal company strategy When not at work, he enjoys watching Netflix,trying out new recipes in the kitchen and listening to music.
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us.