- United States
- Date Posted
- Aug. 30, 2021
- Design & UI
Cockroach Labs is the creator of CockroachDB, the most highly evolved cloud-native, distributed SQL database on the planet that scales fast, survives anything, and thrives anywhere. We created CockroachDB to unshackle teams from the constraints of their database. Join us on our mission to enable every developer to build world-changing applications!
About the Role
The Product Design team at Cockroach Labs is responsible for creating a scalable consumer-grade UX that makes data easy for all users of CockroachDB. We’re seeking a Product Designer to help shape the future of our Observability product area, specifically within the Cluster UI team. The mission of the Observability product area is to provide operators with a delightful experience around monitoring different parts of CockroachDB and troubleshooting their clusters’ health. The Cluster UI team within the Observability product area designs, architects and builds observability feature UI components to answer those most pressing questions.
- You will manage design projects across the entire product design lifecycle, from proposing initial concepts to shipping high-quality features; contributing to all aspects of design, including research, testing, interaction design, and visual design.
- You will use data to find effective opportunities to improve existing Cockroach products.
- You will collaborate with a small multi-disciplinary team that includes UX researchers, curriculum developers, tech writers, product managers, engineers, and business partners who share your passion for delivering great experiences for our users.
- You will help maintain and iterate on our design system with other product designers, and advocate for scalable design solutions with frontend engineers.
In your first 30 days, you’ll meet with your Product Design mentor, Rachel, who will provide the tools, guidance, support, and feedback you need to thrive as you become more embedded into our culture. Additionally, you’ll go through our Cockroach University training program and spend time getting familiar with the specific developer and industry problems our team is solving. You’ll learn how to use the Cockroach Labs Design System and UX Research Hub. You’ll review any in-flight projects and begin to tackle some smaller tasks in the design backlog. You’ll begin building relationships with the other product designers, engineers, product managers, and members of the broader organization that you’ll be working with day-to-day. You and the Head of Product Design will have the first of many long-term career planning conversations to understand your goals and how Cockroach Labs can best help you achieve them.
After 60 days (if not sooner), you’ll be fully integrated into the team. You will own major design decisions for CockroachCloud, partnering closely with other product designers. You’ll ensure that our design values and iterative processes are clearly understood and built into every design decision made.
- 2-4 years of experience designing enterprise and/or complex consumer applications
- Proven track record of success in building engaging products and can showcase your work.
- Leadership in an iterative design process that includes accepting and acting on feedback and constructive criticism
- Experience in ownership of projects and communicating timelines and executing independently.
- Experience working with common design tools (Figma, Sketch, Zeplin)
- Experience using an established internal Design System.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate on cross-functional teams.
- Bonus: Experience designing for a database product
The Product Design team currently consists of five product designers with a wide range of backgrounds and skill sets including UX research, service Design, illustration and of course, baking . We're looking to expand our team to keep up with the business’s recent acceleration. Some key individuals you'll work with after joining are:
Reporting to Jeremy Bloom - Head of Product Design
Jeremy Bloom heads up the Product Design team at Cockroach Labs. He is responsible for our design process, system, and strategy. Before Cockroach, Jeremy was a Principal Product Designer at Percolate, designing enterprise Saas experiences for Marketers. Prior to Percolate, Jeremy led the design for American Express iOS, Apple Watch, and Android applications at Kettle. When he’s not at work, Jeremy is probably reading a novel, getting in some exercise, or exploring the city with his wife and three-legged pup Carl.
Key Partner - Anne Birzin - Senior Staff Product Designer
Anne Birzin is a Sr. Staff Product Designer at Cockroach Labs, working with the SQL Observability team to make it easy for developers to troubleshoot query performance when using CockroachDB. Previously, Anne was a Sr. Product Designer at Squarespace where she worked on designing Customer Relationship Management tools for business owners. Anne loves finding simple solutions to complex problems, learning new tools and technologies, drawing, exploring NYC bakeries, and watching/reading cartoons.
Key Partner - Lakshmi Kannan - GM, CockroachCloud
Lakshmi is responsible for the overall roadmap for the CockroachCloud Platform product area, which covers the core experiences for setting up and scaling databases for CockroachCloud. User journeys in this area include onboarding, credit card payments, and moving clusters through their lifecycle (create, scale, upgrade, delete). Additionally, as GM, Lakshmi is also responsible for the go-to-market (GTM) of CockroachCloud, managing, and reporting on the P&L of our credit card business, and evaluating the economics of new offerings like free trials. Lakshmi joined Cockroach Labs in 2018 to help build our cloud offering. When not at work, Lakshmi enjoys trying out new recipes in the kitchen, and Crossfit workouts that keep her on her toes.
- 100% health insurance option (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Learning and Development budget
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.