- New York
- Date Posted
- Jun. 1, 2021
- Engineering QA
Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
Cockroach Labs is the creator of CockroachDB, the most highly evolved cloud-native, distributed SQL database on the planet that scales fast, survives anything, and thrives anywhere. We created CockroachDB to unshackle teams from the constraints of their database. Join us on our mission to enable every developer to build world-changing applications!
About the Role
Reporting into our VPE the Director, Test Engineering will be responsible for building and leading the Test Engineering team at Cockroach Labs. This team will own test infrastructure, scalability testing, performance testing, chaos testing, and test enablement. Their team will be tasked with pushing an open-source cloud-native distributed SQL database to its limits and beyond. Working closely with other teams in Engineering and Product in both the cloud and database offerings, you will be part of a collaborative culture striving to make data easy at global scale, ensuring that CockroachDB remains scalable, survivable, and consistent as we continue to grow as a company.
- Drive the direction of a high visibility, high impact group within the Engineering team, focused on Test Engineering.
- Ensure that the team is built to scale and set-up for long-term success, which may include spinning off new teams.
- Recruit, mentor, develop and make top talent effective.
- Establish engineering success metrics and engineering goals that are aligned with the rest of the company.
- Some examples of focus areas for the Test Engineering team:
- Build and maintain the tooling and frameworks for testing a distributed cloud-native distributed SQL database.
- Explore how the performance boundaries of the database are affected by hardware and networking configurations across multiple clouds.
- Develop innovative strategies and research novel approaches in the industry and academic papers for identifying bugs in CockroachDB and CockroachCloud.
- Build and maintain tests that simulate customer workloads.
In your first 30 days, you will go through a series of onboarding that is both company and engineering focused. You will spend time getting to know the individuals on the Engineering team, and what they are working on. You will also meet with other members of Engineering leadership to learn more about the organizational goals and structure. We believe that it’s essential for you to take this first month to become familiar with our technology and our company.
By 3 months, you’ll be fully ramped up and responsible for driving the direction of your team and beginning to plan future projects. You will be leading high-level architectural conversations, as well as planning for the growth of your group, potentially expanding into multiple development teams as needed.
- Experience building and managing an engineering team of 10+, and ideally multiple teams of similar size
- 10+ years of industry experience and 5+ years in a Leadership capacity overseeing high performing teams
- A passion for working on complex technical products and exposure to topics such as distributed systems, concurrency control, data replication, file systems, or SQL processing.
- Experience incorporating a systems thinking approach to testing complicated systems.
- An inquisitive mind and comfortable applying the latest research to industry challenges.
- Comfort using programming languages like Go, C/C++, Java, and Python.
- An understanding of system design.
- Experience building collaborative relationships with your colleagues. You enjoy being part of the code review process and partnering with your teammates on challenging problems.
- A BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
You will have the opportunity to report to a member of our engineering leadership team based on the project you work on at Cockroach Labs. In addition, you will get to work closely with the senior leadership including:
Peter Mattis - Co-founder and Chief Technology Officer
Peter works on a bit of everything, from low-level optimization of code to refining the overall design. He was thrust into file systems early in his career at Inktomi and then learned the true meaning of scalability while working on Gmail and Colossus at Google. Before stepping into the office in the morning, he will have nursed his CrossFit addiction and dealt with the chaos of a three kid morning routine. You can set your watch by his daily departure at 4:30 pm to have dinner with his family.
Isaac Wong - VP of Engineering
Isaac is responsible for the health of the engineering organization at Cockroach Labs. He partners closely with teams to ensure we have a balanced culture that promotes quality and innovation in pursuit of our goals. Before joining Cockroach Labs Isaac was in life sciences for 16 years with Medidata Solutions where he had a front row seat on the exciting ride from a 30 person startup to more than 2000 people worldwide. But the lure of distributed, resilient, and consistent SQL databases, along with the amazing technology and culture at Cockroach Labs proved too much. When not working he likes to draw, play the piano, and search NYC for cannoli’s with his wife and kids.
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at email@example.com.