- San Francisco
- New York
- Date Posted
- Jun. 22, 2021
Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
Cockroach Labs is the team behind CockroachDB, an open source, distributed SQL database. We strive to build infrastructure that keeps pace with the world, so developers can focus on what matters most: building the best products. Come and join us on our mission to Make Data Easy. Are you ready to aim high and build to last?
About the Role
The Senior Director of Financial Planning and Analysis will be the founding member of the FP&A team at Cockroach Labs and play a leadership role in shaping the Finance team and building the FP&A practice. Reporting directly to the Chief Financial Officer, they will set the foundation of the FP&A organization and develop over time the team, processes, and systems that will allow the company to continue to scale in a financially sound way for the years to come. This role offers the unique opportunity to directly impact Cockroach Labs’ growth trajectory and it is expected to grow and expand in responsibility at a rapid pace as the company grows.
- Establish, manage, and grow the FP&A team that will support the executive team in understanding the financial implications of strategic decisions (resource investments, spend allocation, business planning, etc.)
- Set up and lead the company long-term (multi-year) and short-term (annually or semi-annually) planning processes
- Establish processes and systems to forecast and report on financial performance, manage budgets, and facilitate decisions on major spend requests in partnership with the business
- Define and report on the key business metrics, proactively analyze business trends and identify opportunities to improve financial performance
In your first 30 days, you will develop a strong understanding of our current business, including business trends and drivers of financial performance. You will become familiar with the company market, business model, current financial plan, major investment areas, and current financial and revenue processes and organization. You will establish relationships with major executives and functions interfacing with Finance (in particular, Revenue and People Operations) to understand their current needs from a financial point of view. You will quickly understand the major gaps and develop an initial roadmap of priorities (to be later refined), in terms of processes and organizational areas to build. You will develop an initial proposal on how to set up the FP&A team over 12-18 months and initiate the process to hire the first financial analysts.
After 3 months, you’ll be fully up to speed and integrated into the Finance team. By that point, you will have hired the first members of the FP&A team. You will have taken over the company financial plan, started to develop a multi-year plan, and set up an annual planning cadence. You will have iterated on the initial roadmap of priorities and put selected initiatives in motion. You will have also identified the financial planning tools required and gained approval to implement them.
As our business scales, we fully expect to continue to expand the FP&A team to drive stronger financial processes, support a larger organization and understand the financial performance of a more complex business.
- 10+ years of experience in professional financial practice/corporate finance areas, including FP&A leadership
- Experienced at managing high-performing FP&A teams and evolving the FP&A processes, in particular for a fast-growing organization
- Experience with Enterprise Subscription / SaaS businesses
- IPO process or public company experience strongly preferred
- Degree in Finance, Accounting, Economics or Business Administration preferred
- Advanced understanding of GAAP financial statements
- Rigorous analytical thinking and strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to collaborate and influence cross-functionally
- Effective written and verbal communication skills, also at the executive level
- Ability to strive in a fast-paced environment and to deal with ambiguous situations
Reporting to Lorenzo Montesi - Chief Financial Officer
Lorenzo is a seasoned professional with over a decade of experience leading finance, strategy, and operations for top technology companies. He loves to partner with technical teams and help them build companies that disrupt established markets. He was most recently the SVP of Finance at Cohesity, an enterprise data management company, where he led the finance and sales operations teams through multiple years of hyper-growth. Prior to joining Cohesity, Lorenzo held strategy and sales operations positions at VMware, RSA, and EMC, and earlier in his career, he was a management consultant at the Boston Consulting Group. He lives in California with his wife and two teenage children and loves outdoor activities (cycling, skiing, and hiking).
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at email@example.com.