- New York
- Date Posted
- May. 25, 2021
Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
Cockroach Labs is the creator of CockroachDB, the most highly evolved cloud-native, distributed SQL database on the planet that scales fast, survives anything, and thrives anywhere. We created CockroachDB to unshackle teams from the constraints of their database. Join us on our mission to enable every developer to build world-changing applications!
About the Role
We are looking for an HR Generalist to join our People team at Cockroach Labs. In this role, you will report to the Manager, People Operations and will evolve processes and support programs that fuel our unique culture. We’re looking for someone who can balance the strategic management of vendors with a hands-on approach to all elements of the employee experience. You’ll use data and creativity to make recommendations for improving existing processes and advocating for new programs.
- Drive onboarding and offboarding processes in partnership with our People Systems, Workplace Experience and HR Business Partner Teams. Your focus will be on ensuring accurate new hire data, adjudicating background checks, and preparing separation information.
- Administer the employee benefits program, including orientation, open enrollment preparations, audits, ongoing communications.
- Prepare employment sponsorship with immigration counsel in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom.
- Maintain our internal HRIS alongside our PEO HRIS with the utmost level of data integrity and confidentiality.
- Collaborate with finance as you supply payroll updates to our domestic and international PEOs.
- Ease processes for Roachers in need of a leave of absence to ensure understanding of benefits available and availability of support resources.
- Manage compliance efforts and stay current on changes to state, federal, and international laws pertaining to employment, benefits, COVID-specific employment operations, and expansion into new employment locations.
- Respond to general questions regarding company policies, systems, and benefits with a sense of urgency.
- Partner with the People Operations Manager to design, implement, and facilitate processes and policies that meet the specific needs of Cockroach Labs.
In your first 30 days, you will review our current programs, systems, and be introduced to our external partners like PEOs and immigration counsel. You will begin running our processes and looking for areas to improve. As you take ownership of these processes, you’ll identify any gaps in documentation and fill those as part of your onboarding.
By your first 60 days, you will have met with colleagues across the company and started building relationships that help you match recommendations for process updates to our culture. You’ll be initiating a light refresh of our employee handbook and partnering heavily with our Workplace Experience team to facilitate our hybrid return to office program.
After 3 months, you will be integrated into the team. You will have taken ownership of your role and started working directly with stakeholders. You will have strong relationships with our external vendors and be the front line of people-support for Roachers.
- 2-4 years of experience in Human Resources or People Operations
- Knowledge of the employment alphabet soup (i.e. EEO, FLSA, FMLA and CFRA, ADA, COBRA)
- Keen attention to detail and the ability to maintain data through process controls and auditing
- Flexibility to adapt to the changing needs of a technology company or other start-up
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) including the ability to maintain confidentiality as appropriate
- A customer experience mentality including organization skills that help you keep up with many clients and vendors
- The ability and willingness to ask questions about different ways we can tackle processes and programs.
Reporting to Lauren Weber, Manager, People Operations
Lauren is a culture vulture. Whether you’re talking organizations, foods, or places... she likes to keep up with what’s delicious, fun, and interesting. Born and raised in Kentucky, her career has spanned industries (government, nonprofit, education, tech) and locations (Berlin, District of Columbia, San Francisco, New York). Cringeworthy old-school HR stories are what make Lauren passionate about ensuring Roachers are supported and engaged by our people processes and programs.
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.