- New York
- Date Posted
- Jun. 1, 2021
Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
Cockroach Labs is the creator of CockroachDB, the most highly evolved cloud-native, distributed SQL database on the planet that scales fast, survives anything, and thrives anywhere. We created CockroachDB to unshackle teams from the constraints of their database. Join us on our mission to enable every developer to build world-changing applications!
About the Role
We’re looking for a Technical Recruiter to join our People team at Cockroach Labs. You will work on scaling and accomplishing an end-to-end recruitment process for a variety of engineering positions from mid to leadership level. You’ll work with our team to understand how recruiting ties into the business and work on roles that will create the most impact on the continued success and health of the organization.
- Source and attract talent using creative methods and tools. Prioritize bringing candidates from diverse backgrounds into our hiring process and making sure our hiring processes are inclusive and welcoming.
- Refine our open-sourced, structured interview process and training programs by incorporating feedback from the team as well as candidates.
- Enjoy building relationships with candidates, partners, hiring managers, and interviewers. We believe it is essential to build relationships with the people you work with, as well as senior leaders and executives.
- Collaborate with the recruiting team to determine and track relevant metrics for hiring and our talent pipeline.
- Contribute back to and engage with the tech and recruiting communities through blog posts, panels, and meetups.
In your first 30 days, we want you to learn our product and team inside and out. In order to attract top talent you need to have a deep understanding of what makes our company special and exciting from both a people and a product standpoint. We encourage you to become involved in formal conversations like team meetings, but also to find informal opportunities like lunch or coffee to get to know our engineering and technical teams. Your job during this time is to be a sponge and start working on your Cockroach Labs pitch!
By the end of 60 days, you will have a strong grasp of our recruiting processes. You will have shadowed recruiter screens and observed Hiring Committee reviews after onsite interviews are completed. You will have worked alongside the team during their sourcing efforts to understand the tools and resources we use to engage candidates. Working with the engineering leaders, you’ll have an understanding of our current and future headcount, and identified key areas of focus going forward.
After 90 days, you’ll be fully integrated into the team. You will have taken over the process for some of our existing roles and will lead your first-of-many hiring kick-offs for new roles. You’ll focus on the efficiency of our recruiting process and identify areas for improvement for our interviews. You may have your first candidate(s) coming onsite for interviews, and will be meeting regularly with key stakeholders within the engineering organization to ensure recruiting needs are being addressed.
6 months later, you will have welcomed several new Roachers to the team after bringing them through our recruiting process, start-to-finish.
- A passion for working on highly complex roles in the technology industry. We have a very high hiring bar and know that it is only getting more challenging to hire engineering talent as industry competition increases.
- An understanding of the difference in pace, environment, and process at companies of different stages, and how that is meaningful to candidates you engage with.
- Experience with closing senior-level candidates and negotiating equity-driven compensation packages.
- Direct experience working with multi-functional teams to hire engineers across a variety of disciplines including distributed systems, security, and web, in both leadership and individual contributor capacities
- An interest in learning about and a comfort discussing deeply technical topics, but also the humility to say “I don’t know” when appropriate.
- 3-5 years in recruiting or a similar position at a technology company.
Reporting to David Delaney - Senior Manager of Recruiting
David has a passion for building early stage teams. Prior to Cockroach Labs, he was the first non-engineering hire at Vine, and then the first in-house recruiter at Yext. There he grew his team to 7 people and was responsible for recruiting across all departments outside of Revenue. After 5 years at Yext, which included a 2017 IPO, he caught the startup bug again and made the move over to Cockroach Labs. He’s a huge proponent of our company’s core value of balance and most days he’ll log off around 5pm to be with his family and cook dinner before his son’s bedtime. Aside from family activities, he’s been spending his free time during COVID on his Peloton bike and doing projects around the house in Connecticut his family moved into last year.
- 100% health insurance option (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Learning and Development budget
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.