- Toronto, CA
- Date Posted
- Jun. 22, 2021
Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
Cockroach Labs is the team behind CockroachDB, an open source, distributed SQL database. In addition to the open source version of the DB we offer CockroachCloud, a self-service, fully managed cloud offering of CockroachDB. We aim to build infrastructure that keeps pace with the world, so developers can focus on what matters most: building the best products. Join us on our mission to Make Data Easy.
About the Role
CockroachDB provides the backbone of storing data on a global scale. As a Site Reliability Engineer you’ll help manage and scale our CockroachCloud service. You will oversee our production system, ensuring that we can provide stable and scalable infrastructure as we provide CockroachDB to our customers. CockroachCloud is a global service spanning multiple cloud providers. Roughly half of your time will be spent on greenfield development work, with an emphasis on developing tooling and driving automation. In the role you will work across multiple teams within CockroachCloud as well as development and product teams working on CockroachDB.
- Manage the infrastructure for cloud services, including running internal production systems and hosting CockroachDB for our external customers.
- Design, write and deliver software and systems to increase product reliability and organizational efficiency.
- Develop custom tools as necessary.
- Keep a complex system running and solve problems relating to mission-critical services.
- Design, implement, operate, and troubleshoot the automation and monitoring of production clusters to maximize performance and availability.
- Drive the company through disaster recovery tests, where we manually turn down pieces of CockroachDB to test it’s overall resilience to failures.
- Participate in an on-call rotation for our production systems and hosted services.
In your first 30 days, you will onboard and be exposed to our current internal and customer-facing production systems. Working with our existing SRE and engineering teams, you will pair on production operations and build out runbooks for the operation of different systems. We believe that it’s essential for you to take this first month to become familiar with our technology and our company.
After 3 months, you’ll be fully integrated into the team. You will develop and own tooling for reliability, automation, and other issues related to CockroachCloud’s stability and scalability. You will identify new opportunities for automating processes, streamlining delivery, deploying new core functionality, and building great tools. You will help make CockroachCloud the best platform to host CockroachDB on by bringing your expertise to our database.
- Expertise in analyzing, monitoring, and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems.
- Experience in software development using one or more of the following: Go, C, C++, Python, Java.
- Proficiency working with algorithms, data structures, and production troubleshooting.
- Expertise in working with major cloud providers (AWS, Azure, GCP, etc.) and Cloud APIs.
- Debugged and optimized code and to automate routine tasks.
- Working knowledge of web and network protocols and standards (HTTP, TLS, DNS, etc.)
- Previous on-call experience, with a sense of urgency.
- Experience building collaborative relationships with your colleagues. You enjoy being part of the code review process and partnering with your teammates on challenging problems.
- 2+ years of relevant experience.
- A BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
Isaac Wong - VP of Engineering
Isaac is responsible for the health of the engineering organization at Cockroach Labs. He partners closely with teams to ensure we have a balanced culture that promotes quality and innovation in pursuit of our goals. Before joining Cockroach Labs Isaac was in life sciences for 16 years with Medidata Solutions where he had a front row seat on the exciting ride from a 30 person startup to more than 2000 people worldwide. But the lure of distributed, resilient, and consistent SQL databases, along with the amazing technology and culture at Cockroach Labs proved too much. When not working he likes to draw, play the piano and search NYC for cannolis with his wife and kids.
Yandu Oppacher - Director of Engineering
Yandu works across multiple parts of CockroachCloud to ensure that our infrastructure and teams are robust and scalable. Yandu joined Cockroach Labs after nearly 8 years at Shopify where he started on the data platform team and helped it grow from 4 DB nodes to several hundred Hadoop nodes running over petabytes of data in Google Cloud. In his last 2 years at Shopify, he led the Production Engineering teams responsible for all of the compute runtime resources that power Shopify’s mission critical services. Joining CockroachCloud and Cockroach Labs allows him to get back to his first love, Databases, while applying his Production Engineering skills to help build our DBaaS platform. Outside of Cockroach Labs Yandu will be found reading or, more likely, chasing after his 3 young kids and exploring the outdoors with them.
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at email@example.com.