- United States
- Date Posted
- Aug. 24, 2021
- Product Engineering
Cockroach Labs is the creator of CockroachDB, the most highly evolved cloud-native, distributed SQL database on the planet that scales fast, survives anything, and thrives anywhere. We created CockroachDB to unshackle teams from the constraints of their database. Join us on our mission to enable every developer to build world-changing applications!
About the Role
We are looking for a Senior Product Manager to own the orchestration story for CockroachDB. We currently support deploying CockroachDB on Kubernetes via Helm and a custom built, open source Operator. We manage CockroachDB clusters in CockroachCloud using our own Kubernetes Operator as well. You will set the strategy and define the roadmap for deploying CockroachDB on Kubernetes for both CockroachCloud and for our self-hosted customers to deliver a delightful experience for CockroachDB operators.
- Develop and execute our product strategy for deploying CockroachDB using Kubernetes, prioritizing across internal use cases for our CockroachCloud offering and external use cases for customers self-hosting CockroachDB in partner environments such as GKE, Openshift, EKS, and AKS
- Work directly with customers to understand and address their pain points, collecting product requirements and documenting customer needs
- Partner with Engineering, Design, Documentation and Revenue teams to delight operators deploying CockroachDB on Kubernetes
- Become the expert in your product area’s functionality and user journeys to enable stakeholder teams’ and customers’ success
- Put yourself in our users’ shoes by using our Kubernetes Operator the way our customers will to acceptance test features before they go live
- Leverage our BI platform to understand product adoption and prioritize enhancements to improve our product
- 5+ years of Product Management experience with technical products or serving developers as the primary customer
- You have demonstrated expertise in Kubernetes and orchestrating infrastructure
- An ability to grasp complex technical concepts and tie the impact of technical trade-offs to user experience trade-offs
- Experience working with engineering to prototype and iterate on features to improve an end-to-end user journey or workflow in the context of a product strategy
- Excellent writing skills; our strategic product meetings are based on docs rather than decks
- A collaborative nature and an eagerness to partner with all other functions in the company such as Marketing, and Revenue
- A computer science degree and/or first-hand experience working with production distributed systems
In the first 30 days, you will go through PM onboarding with your roachmate. You will shadow the PM lead for your area and understand the team culture and processes. You will spin up a CockroachDB cluster and test core features, getting a sense for the end to end experience for yourself. You will work with the PM lead as well as our customers to understand the major user pain points for the area and spend time getting familiar with the specific developer and industry problems your team is solving. You’ll review your backlog, get up to speed on in-flight features, and learn how to understand feature adoption.
After three months you will be fully integrated into the team. There are countless opportunities for us to invest in and you will be responsible for prioritizing the ones that will exceed our customer’s expectations and generate a competitive advantage for our business over the long term.
Piyush Singh - Group Product Manager
Piyush loves getting into the mindset of customers and using our product just as they would. He joined Cockroach Labs in early 2018 because he wanted to explore the bleeding edge of what is possible in the database industry. His main focus at Cockroach Labs is making CockroachDB and CockroachCloud as simple to use for operators as possible. While he’s not at his desk, you will probably find Piyush in the kitchen trying out a new recipe or baking up a favorite dessert.
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at email@example.com.