- United States
- Date Posted
- Aug. 24, 2021
- Product Engineering
Cockroach Labs is the creator of CockroachDB, the most highly evolved cloud-native, distributed SQL database on the planet that scales fast, survives anything, and thrives anywhere. We created CockroachDB to unshackle teams from the constraints of their database. Join us on our mission to enable every developer to build world-changing applications!
About the Role
We are looking for a Staff Product Manager who is excited about growing a cloud-native distributed SQL database. We’re in the initial stages of designing our CockroachCloud APIs to support a range of use cases such as CI/CD pipelines, infra-as-code, and third-party partnerships. You will set the strategy, define the roadmap and execute against it to provide our Cloud customers with the best API experience possible. This includes building the first version of the CockroachCloud CLI, as well as providing delightful APIs for larger organizations to interact with CockroachCloud for their Day 2 operations.
- Develop and execute our product strategy for APIs, prioritizing across a variety of Day 1 and Day 2 use cases, and customer types including self-service developers, large enterprise customers and channel partners
- Work directly with customers to understand and address their primary pain points, collecting product requirements and documenting customer needs
- Partner with Engineering, Design, Documentation and Revenue teams to come up with a delightful developer experience using the CLI, and our APIs
- Become the expert in your product area’s functionality and user journeys to enable stakeholder teams’ and customers’ success
- Put yourself in our users’ shoes by using our APIs the way our customers will to acceptance test features before they go live
- Leverage our BI platform to understand product adoption and prioritize enhancements to improve our product
- 8+ years of experience with technical products or serving developers as the primary customer
- You have demonstrated expertise in API design, implementation, and iteration
- An ability to grasp complex technical concepts and tie the impact of technical trade-offs to user experience trade-offs
- Experience working with engineering to prototype and iterate on features to improve an end-to-end user journey or workflow in the context of a product strategy
- Excellent writing skills; our strategic product meetings are based on docs rather than decks
- A collaborative nature and an eagerness to partner with all other functions in the company such as Marketing, and Revenue
- A computer science degree and/or first-hand experience working with production distributed systems
In the first 30 days, you will go through PM onboarding with your roachmate. You will shadow the PM lead for your area and understand the team culture and processes. You will spin up a CockroachDB cluster and test core features, getting a sense for the end to end experience for yourself. You will work with the PM lead as well as our customers to understand the major user pain points for the area and spend time getting familiar with the specific developer and industry problems your team is solving. You’ll review your backlog, get up to speed on in-flight features, and learn how to understand feature adoption.
After three months you will be fully integrated into the team.You’ll ship a V1 of our APIs (currently in progress) in the Fall. There are countless opportunities for us to invest in and you will be responsible for prioritizing the ones that will exceed our customer’s expectations and generate a competitive advantage for our business over the long term.
Lakshmi Kannan - Group Product Manager
Lakshmi is responsible for the overall roadmap for the CockroachCloud Platform product area. User journeys in this area include onboarding, payments, and moving clusters through their lifecycle (create, scale, upgrade, delete). Additionally, as GM, Lakshmi is also responsible for the go-to-market (GTM) and growth of CockroachCloud, managing, and reporting on the P&L of our credit card business, and evaluating the economics of new offerings like free trials. Lakshmi joined Cockroach Labs in 2018 to help build our cloud offering. When not at work, Lakshmi enjoys trying out new recipes in the kitchen, hiking and outdoor activities in Colorado, and Crossfit workouts that keep her on her toes.
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.