- United States
- Date Posted
- Nov. 10, 2021
Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
Cockroach Labs is the team behind CockroachDB, an open-source, distributed SQL database. We aim to build infrastructure that keeps pace with the world, so developers can focus on what matters most: building the best products. Join us on our mission to Make Data Easy. Are you ready to aim high and build to last?
About the Role
We are hiring an experienced Sales Commissions Manager to help us continue to scale our Finance and Accounting operations. This is a new role at Cockroach Labs, you will get the opportunity to build the foundation for the function along with processes related to accurate calculations, payments, and accruals for commissions and sales-related bonuses.
- Responsible for the day-to-day administration of the sales commission program
- Create, maintain, and track sales commission and sales-related bonus calculation files
- Develop and maintain documentation of commissions processes
- Work cross-functionally to evaluate and implement commissions software/new systems to align with Company growth
- Ensure sales commissions calculations and payments are accurate, timely, and paid in compliance with the current sales commissions plan
- Work with leadership throughout the organization to maintain and update the sales commissions plans and procedures each fiscal year
- Be the person of contact for sales commission related questions or inquiries from the Sales team and provide support as needed
- Assist with identifying opportunities for efficiencies and improvements within the sales commissions process and workflow to align with Company growth
- Work cross-functionally to track changes in sales employee data for new hires/termination/promotions
- Partner with Finance to accurately book sales commission accruals and provide sales commission expense estimates, when applicable for month/quarter-end
- Prepare and provide any supporting documents needed to Finance related to accruals, expenses, and inquiries of the period over period changes
- Provide documentation needed to external auditors for the sales commission process
- Assisting and completing ad hoc projects or analysis as needed
In your first 30 days, you will develop a strong understanding of our current processes and organizational structure. You will meet with stakeholders across the organization to better understand how the Accounting team works with other functions. You will develop relationships with other operational leaders at Cockroach Labs and an understanding of their plans and needs, in particular as they relate to the Sales Commissions function. You will review and provide feedback on the current Accounting team’s processes and the current plan for this year. You will start to identify areas for improvement in the Accounting team’s operations and processes and make recommendations on how to improve these processes.
In your first 60 days, you will have a good understanding of how Cockroach Labs operates and continue to identify opportunities to improve the operations of the Sales Commissions team. You will start implementing new processes to address the more immediate needs of the Accounting team, including being a significant contributor to the design of the Company’s sales commission plan and processes.
After 3 months, you’ll be fully integrated into the team and have created a roadmap of projects to make the Company best in class. You will start implementing, alongside the Accounting team, redesigned systems, workflows, and relationships with key stakeholders to fully build out an Internationally scalable Sales Commissions function. You will have built key relationships so that you are the go-to subject matter expert in your field.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance, Accounting, or related field
- 5+ years of experience on sales commission calculations and sales compensation administration
- Solid understanding of the sales commission payments process and impact on financials
- Experience using Salesforce is a plus
- Experience using sales commissions software
- A positive attitude and self-motivator with the ability to follow through with projects to completion
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to work effectively with all levels of the organization
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel/Google Sheets, advanced formulas and functions
Reporting to Tom Hannon – Corporate Controller
Tom has always been passionate about technology and is dedicated to building finance and accounting teams that empower and amplify inventive businesses and products rather than constrain them. At Cockroach Labs, Tom is dedicated to building a function that achieves these goals. Tom has experience building finance and accounting teams in high-growth tech environments and has a strong understanding of both the profession and the industry. Tom believes strongly in the unique value that a Sales Commissions team can bring and is committed to building a best-in-class function here at Cockroach Labs. Tom enjoys mentoring members of his team and is proud of the continued development and incredible roles many of them have moved on to at other tech companies. In his spare time, Tom is an avid sports fan, a keen runner, and looks forward to the day where we can actively travel again and seek new experiences.
- 100% health insurance option (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Learning and Development budget
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at email@example.com.