- United States
- Date Posted
- Jun. 1, 2021
- Software Engineering
Are you building cloud-native Node.js backend microservices or serverless apps? Do you love showing others how to build those apps?
Cockroach Labs is the company behind CockroachDB, an open source, next gen, cloud-native distributed SQL database. The Cockroach Labs Training Team is looking for a Cloud-native Technical Curriculum Developer with Node.js backend dev skills to build developer training courses for Cockroach University (CU).
About the Role
As a cloud-native Node.js backend developer, you know managing state in distributed cloud-native apps running on Kubernetes is a pain if you use legacy SQL databases. And you know designing and coding the inevitable transactional serializable use cases in those apps is far from straightforward when using noSQL databases, whether in Kubernetes clusters or serverless public cloud systems. Cockroach Labs builds a distributed SQL transactional database that solves these problems.
- Empathize with cloud-native Node.js developers.
- Build cloud-native microservice and serverless apps used in training exercises.
- Develop training courses collaboratively in teams using Agile methodology and techniques.
- Create course architectures, learning objectives and detailed lesson plans with peer Curriculum Developers and subject matter experts.
- Contribute to defining and evolving the Training team’s Agile and DevOps processes.
- Develop technical expertise in CockroachDB and CockroachCloud.
- Foster collaboration with our Docs, Engineering, Product, and Customer Success teams to keep our curriculum up-to-date, effective, and user-centric.
- Experience developing Node.js synchronous and asynchronous serverless and/or microservice-based systems.
- Experience with Test Driven Development (TTD) and Constant Integration/Constant Deployment (CI/CD) pipelines.
- Experience deploying above systems to containerized (Kubernetes) clusters and/or public cloud provider serverless environments.
- Knowledge of one or more Node.js ORMs and/or persistence frameworks.
- Knowledge using Typescript in backend Node.js systems.
- Helped other devs learn by sharing your knowledge and skills: for example, you’ve presented at meetups or conferences, mentored colleagues, wrote blogs, taught workshops, wrote training curriculum, etc.
- Knowledge of event-driven-architectures used in microservices apps and/or serverless systems.
- Some frontend JS knowledge of React or Vue.
In your first 30 days, you will learn about CockroachDB both in terms of its internals and from the customer’s perspective/experience, using our documentation, training materials, and technical staff. 3 months in, you’ll be integrated into the team and partnering with a peer Curriculum Developer to optimize existing content and build out the next Cockroach University developer courses.
Cockroach Labs mission is to enable every developer to build world-changing applications. The Training Team makes sure we build the training counterpart to that mission: Make learning CockroachDB easy and intuitive. The Training Team is a diverse group with skills in databases, distributed systems, serverless, learning design and video production. We’re always learning. We collaboratively develop courses and apps using Agile processes. 2021 will be an exciting year for our managed DB-as-a-service, CockroachCloud. And the Training Team and Cockroach University will be a big part of helping developers use CockroachCloud, making data easy, ondemand and serverless.
Reporting to Doug Weatherbee - Director of Training
Doug’s been passionate about developer learning for over twenty years: for the first 15 years, he was a Java EE & IBM WebSphere instructor, curriculum developer, writer and near the end of those 15 years, a Scala programming language and Akka distributed computing trainer. During the past 6 years, he’s led creative teams of other technical curriculum engineers building cloud-native developer content at Red Hat (OpenShift, Kubernetes, Quarkus/Spring Boot/Node.js microservices, Istio Service Mesh) and Lightbend (makers of Scala and Akka). In off hours, he’s probably walking by the ocean in Nova Scotia, riding an ebike on the Acadian dykelands or playing and composing music.
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at email@example.com.