- Toronto, CA
- Date Posted
- Jun. 22, 2021
- Software Engineering
Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
Cockroach Labs is the team behind CockroachDB, an open source, distributed SQL database. In addition to the open source version of the DB we offer CockroachCloud, a self-service, fully managed cloud offering of CockroachDB. We aim to build infrastructure that keeps pace with the world, so developers can focus on what matters most: building the best products. Join us on our mission to Make Data Easy.
About the Role
We are looking for software engineers who are excited about building the infrastructure that enables CockroachCloud to scale fast, survive anything, and thrive everywhere just like CockroachDB. The Cloud Foundations team is building the platform that runs all of CockroachCloud’s services. You will be working across cloud vendors to create and improve our platform that automates our most complex and important workloads.
You’ll be integrating the foundational infrastructure tooling across teams and departments, and leading the design and deployment of our growing internal infrastructure. The platform is deployed globally and will push the limits of the services cloud vendors provide today. Providing a Distributed SQL Database like CockroachDB as a service offers a lot of fun and tough technical challenges. It’s not a solved problem and we need you to help us develop innovative solutions.
- Create and grow the systems to build, test, and verifyCockroachCloud’s infrastructure.
- Work closely with our SRE team to ensure that we can scale and maintain our SLOs for CockroachCloud.
- Create and grow software and systems that makes our automation more efficient and reduces toil on our teams.
- Leverage containers, Kubernetes, Infrastructure as Code, plus other cloud-native and systems-level technologies to ensure solutions are easily maintainable and extensible.
In the first month you will join your engineering team and start to learn about the existing internal and customer-facing production systems used to build, run and deploy CockroachDB and CockroachCloud. How Cockroach Labs and our customers run CockroachDB on multiple cloud providers and private data centers. We believe that it’s essential for you to take this first month to become familiar with our technology and our company.
After 3 months, you’ll be a fully-fledged member of our infrastructure team. You’ll be building the infrastructure that allows CockroachCloud to operate across multiple clouds by using Kubernetes and other cloud native technologies.
As our team grows, you will have the opportunity to shape the direction of our infrastructure and processes. We are building CockroachCloud to make it easier for people to get started with CockroachDB and make CockroachDB the developer’s database of choice. To help make this possible we need to provide a stable and performant platform to run CockroachDB which is . We also offer technical training and experienced mentorship to help you learn and grow into whatever you wish it to be.
- A passion for working on complex technical products and exposure to the design and creation of modern distributed systems.
- Comfort writing code in programming languages like Go, C/C++, Java, and Python.
- Experience with orchestration software such as Kubernetes, Mesos or Apache YARN.
- Experience with infrastructure automation like Terraform or Pulumi, or config management like Chef.
- Experience building collaborative relationships with your colleagues. You enjoy being part of the code review process and partnering with your teammates on challenging problems.
- 2+ years of relevant experience.
- A BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
Isaac Wong - VP of Engineering
Isaac is responsible for the health of the engineering organization at Cockroach Labs. He partners closely with teams to ensure we have a balanced culture that promotes quality and innovation in pursuit of our goals. Before joining Cockroach Labs Isaac was in life sciences for 16 years with Medidata Solutions where he had a front row seat on the exciting ride from a 30 person startup to more than 2000 people worldwide. But the lure of distributed, resilient, and consistent SQL databases, along with the amazing technology and culture at Cockroach Labs proved too much. When not working he likes to draw, play the piano and search NYC for cannolis with his wife and kids.
Yandu Oppacher - Director of Engineering
Yandu works across multiple parts of CockroachCloud to ensure that our infrastructure and teams are robust and scalable. Yandu joined Cockroach Labs after nearly 8 years at Shopify where he started on the data platform team and helped it grow from 4 DB nodes to several hundred Hadoop nodes running over petabytes of data in Google Cloud. In his last 2 years at Shopify, he led the Production Engineering teams responsible for all of the compute runtime resources that power Shopify’s mission critical services. Joining CockroachCloud and Cockroach Labs allows him to get back to his first love, Databases, while applying his Production Engineering skills to help build our DBaaS platform. Outside of Cockroach Labs Yandu will be found reading or, more likely, chasing after his 3 young kids and exploring the outdoors with them.
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
- Relocation support
- Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org