- Date Posted
- Sep. 23, 2021
- Data Science
Our mission is to make life easier for the lifeblood of economies globally; small and medium-sized businesses. Codat is a universal API for consented business financial data, powering the next generation of products and services for this historically underserved market.
We have offices in London and New York, and a San Francisco office will be opening soon. We are a privately held company, and have recently closed our Series B funding and are funded by Index Ventures, Tiger Global, American Express, PayPal and a line-up of world-class angel investors.
We live by our values of being united as a single team, building a product that is useful to our clients and their customers alike, with a focus and urgency that makes us unstoppable.
What we’re up to right now
Our teams are currently focusing on:
- Building high coverage for Codat’s API across third-party software platforms. This includes building new data formats and sources into our financial data standard.
- Reliably and quickly processing huge amounts of financial data into our data cache and query engine.
- Building additional products on top of our core API to unlock the power of our clients’ data, through the movement of data between sources, data visualization, or insights.
- Best in class monitoring and operations tools to allow both ourselves and our clients to find, and fix, data issues early.
What you will be doing
Our system is entirely hosted on Microsoft’s Azure cloud platform, and is built on modern .NET Core, utilizing the latest .NET features. Our system is service-based, and leverages Azure Service Bus, Azure Storage, and SQL Server to ingest and process large amounts of data reliably and efficiently.
Our engineers operate in small, focused, multidisciplinary, and highly autonomous teams of around 4 to 6 people. Our teams tend to include:
- A hands-on Lead Engineer who spends time focusing on product alignment, technical alignment, and people, as well as coding.
- A QA Engineer who represents quality throughout the team and encourages critical thinking as well as supporting automation.
- Software Engineers who help with business analysis, writing tests and code, and operating the components that the team owns.
- Other specialists will sometimes join a team for certain work. If the team is planning on building a UI heavy feature, they might borrow a UI specialist for some time, for either design or some implementation. We have a team of platform engineers that also might get involved early on with a new feature, or during a scale activity, they might be a DBA or an SRE that can make sure that the team is building something they can support and run in production successfully.
All our engineers have end-to-end responsibility. They’re involved from early on in the product design process all the way through to monitoring and operation. With this responsibility comes trust. Our engineers are empowered to use the best tool for the job. We encourage engineers to be innovative, always thinking about the best ways to give value to our clients.
Our teams are always finding ways to make themselves more agile, and most teams use a “Scrumban” style of work, stand-ups, retrospectives, planning, and refining. Teams move rapidly, releasing at least once a day. We practise continuous integration and testing, and sometimes continuous delivery. Testing is very important to our process, and we strive for high levels of unit and end-to-end test coverage. This is helping us work towards our goal of continuous flow.
No matter what we’re doing - whether we’re speaking to customers, partners or to each other - we live by our values.
We believe in delivering useful technology that solves real problems for real businesses. We are passionate about doing the stuff that isn’t always “cool” but makes a big difference.
We believe that the people in the best teams push and enable each other to excel. We’re united when we have each other’s backs, hold each other to account, and support each other in learning - when something goes wrong, we don’t blame, we work together to fix it. We embrace differences of opinion to end up with better outcomes. We don’t let our egos win.
We believe that an unstoppable drive towards clearly stated goals is the best way to build great things. We are biased towards action - we make informed decisions, we share our ideas, and then we act. There is no such thing as an impossible problem, just a great challenge to sink our teeth into.
What excites us:
- We like Data Scientists that have a good understanding of Python and general programming principles. We use .NET to build features, but we understand that you have to use the right tool for the job, and we use Python and R for data tasks.
- We aren’t looking for a pure mathematician, we are looking for someone that likes to be given real problems our clients might be facing, and explore of ways they can apply their analytical and maths skills to those problems. Some financial literacy is helpful, but not essential.
- Clear and concise communicators; we expect Data Scientists to collaborate with other team members, including developers, quality assurance engineers and product stakeholders outside of Engineering.
- We really like Data Scientists that are self-motivated, have a logical and systematic approach to problems solving, but understand things work best when we work as a team, are approachable, open minded, and patient.