- New York
- Date Posted
- Aug. 16, 2021
- Design & UI
Codecademy was started in 2011 by two college students in a dorm room at Columbia that were frustrated by the huge gap between education and employment. Almost a decade later, we are a rapidly growing, diverse team of about 200 distributed through North America and headquartered in SoHo, NYC. We’ve raised over $87.5m in venture capital funding from top investors including Kleiner Perkins, Naspers, Owl Ventures, Union Square Ventures, Y Combinator, and more.
If you want to help build a business that impacts tens of millions of people each year and helps them lead better lives, join us!
In joining the UX Research team at Codecademy, you will play a pivotal role in supporting our existing research capacity and driving human-centered thinking throughout the organization. Through close collaboration with cross-functional teams you will develop user insights to drive the next wave of innovation in our suite of products.
UX research and an empathetic understanding of the needs of our learners has been paramount in Codecademy’s growth. As our product grows, we are looking to scale this capability to the next level. You will execute key research initiatives, deepening our understanding of our learners, while also working with others to drive best practices and enable cross-functional peers to conduct trusted research that keeps them close to the learners they serve.
The successful candidate will have a history of uncovering insights that have driven product innovation in fast paced environments, exceptional communication skills used to evangelize user needs, and demonstrated success in collaboration with cross-functional teams. We are looking for someone who can balance rigor, velocity, and creative methods to shape the future of learning for millions of people.
What you’ll do:
- Plan, coordinate, and execute generative and evaluative studies
- Identify and distill relevant insights that drive human-centered thinking across squads
- Work with cross-functional teams of designers, product managers, engineers, marketers and data scientists
- Embed yourself in the product development process across squads and amplify the voice of the user in all that we do
- Uphold and contribute to qualitative best practices at Codecademy
- Advocate for evidence- based solutions throughout our design practice
What you’ll need
- A fundamental understanding of user research methodologies and tools
- An ability to select the most appropriate research methods based on their benefits and limitations
- Experience estimating research effort and scope in order to effectively plan, coordinate and execute studies
- Extensive experience throughout the product development process from getting on the roadmap through to iterating toward continuous improvement
- Demonstrated history of using research to impact the development of solutions that have had measurable impact
- Experience with quantitative metrics and multivariate testing, and ability to synthesize them with qualitative insights
- Exceptional attention to detail and rigor in your documentation
- A degree or equivalent experience in Sociology, Anthropology, Psychology, Human-Computer Interaction or a similar field
What will make you stand out:
- Experience with subscription and/or ed tech products
- Experience working in collaboration with Data Science teams
- Passion for learning to code and self-taught skills
- Published qualitative research
At Codecademy, we are committed to teaching people the skills they need to upgrade their careers. Codecademy aims to educate a richly diverse demographic of users with our product and in order to accomplish this, we believe our team should reflect that rich diversity. Our company celebrates diversity in all of its forms-- race, gender, color, national origin, marital status, sexuality, religion, veteran status, age, ability, disability status-- and works to create an inclusive workplace where people of all backgrounds and beliefs are empowered to better their futures.