- New York
- Date Posted
- Aug. 30, 2021
Codecademy was started in 2011 by two college students in a dorm room at Columbia that were frustrated by the huge gap between education and employment. Almost a decade later, we are a rapidly growing, diverse team of about 200 distributed through North America and headquartered in SoHo, NYC. We’ve raised over $87.5m in venture capital funding from top investors including Kleiner Perkins, Naspers, Owl Ventures, Union Square Ventures, Y Combinator, and more.
If you want to help build a business that impacts tens of millions of people each year and helps them lead better lives, join us!
Codecademy is looking for experts to create technical articles on a wide range of topics as we expand and improve our free content offerings across our catalog. The Article Author will provide the Codecademy Curriculum team with one or more clearly written articles, generally from 600 words to 1,000 words, on subjects they have expertise in to aid learners in gaining a better understanding of different topics. This is a paid, remote, contract position, compensated with a flat rate per article, with a typical commitment of 5 - 15 hours per article.
- Example Topics We’re Currently Hoping to Create
- How to Build a Chat App with React
- How to Web Scrape [Website Name] with Beautiful Soup
- How to Create a [Data Name] Visualization with R
- How to Build a Discord Bot
- NPM vs Yarn
- Angular vs React
Examples of Successful Articles
What You’ll Do
- Craft thoughtful and step-by-step instructive articles on a variety of technical subjects
- Work with the Codecademy Curriculum team to deliver your content to tens of thousands of users
What You’ll Need
- Demonstrable experience with, and extensive knowledge of the subject you’re planning to write about. This could mean working on it as part of your full-time job, writing about it in your blog, or studying it in your education.
- Willingness to discuss and accept feedback
- A strong command of written and spoken English
- What Will Make You Stand Out
- Existing examples of your writing skills on the topic you’ll be writing about, or on a similar topic from your personal website, Medium, or other type of publication.
- Formal teaching experience, especially if it’s related to the topic you’ll be writing about
- Experience in online education at scale or demonstrated online following
- Experience using the Codecademy platform
Take a look at all of the available topics we have for articles. When you apply for the role below, make sure to include the following:
- A list of the articles from the available topics you would be interested in writing
- If you have something you passionately want to write about that’s NOT on the available topics list, feel free to include that as well.
- A sample of past writing, preferably in technical education, but any writing sample is acceptable.
- At this time, we can only accept applicants that are over the age of 18 and are currently located in one of the following states: AZ, CA, CO, CT, DE, FL, GA, IL, IN, MA, MD, ME, MI, NJ, NY, OH, OR, PA, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WA, and WI.
At Codecademy, we are committed to teaching people the skills they need to upgrade their careers. Codecademy aims to educate a richly diverse demographic of learners with our product and in order to accomplish this, we believe our team should reflect that rich diversity. Our company celebrates diversity in all of its forms-- race, gender, color, national origin, marital status, sexuality, religion, veteran status, age, ability, disability status-- and works to create an inclusive workplace where people of all backgrounds and beliefs are empowered to better their futures.