- New York
- Date Posted
- Jun. 9, 2021
- Product Management
Codecademy was started in 2011 by two college students in a dorm room at Columbia that were frustrated by the huge gap between education and employment. A few years later, we are a rapidly growing, diverse team of 100+ in SoHo, NYC. We’ve raised over $40m in venture capital funding from top investors including Union Square Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, Naspers, Y Combinator, and more.
If you want to help build a business that impacts tens of millions of people each year and helps them lead better lives, join us!
Codecademy is looking for a knowledgeable programmer or instructor to help create a variety of types of content for the Codecademy Free Team, whose mission is to provide free, bite-sized, accessible content to Codecademy learners. The Free Team Content Contributor works directly with the Codecademy Curriculum team to author encyclopedia entries, technical articles, and more. This is a paid, remote, part-time position.
The Free Team Content Contributor will need to be an expert in at least one of three technical domains: Data Science, Computer Science, or Web Development.
- Computer Science includes languages like Python, C++, and Java and concepts like algorithms and data structures. (See Codecademy's existing Computer Science content in our catalog here)
- Data Science includes languages like SQL, R, and Python, and concepts like machine learning, data visualization, and statistical significance. (See Codecademy's existing Data Science content in our catalog here)
What You’ll Do
- Design and author in-depth technical articles, step-by-step project tutorials, encyclopedia entries, and more.
- Think pedagogically to break down technical concepts into short, digestible explanations.
- Collaborate with Codecademy’s Free Content team to define what our free content should be and the best way for us to go about making it.
What You’ll Need
- Knowledge of a variety of languages and frameworks from at least one of our three domains
- Either formal education in Computer Science (or related field)—undergraduate or graduate—or professional experience as a software engineer (or related field)
- A strong command of written and spoken English
- Experience with developer tools such as Git, GitHub, and the command line.
- Interest and ability to learn new programming languages, libraries, and frameworks quickly.
- What Will Make You Stand Out
- Knowledge of a variety of languages and frameworks from two or more of the domains
- Experience using the Codecademy platform
- Experience writing educational content that reaches a wide audience in a digital format
Equal Employment Opportunity
Codecademy is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants regardless of race, color, religion, creed, age, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, military or veteran status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law. As an equal opportunities employer, we recognize that diversity is a positive attribute and we welcome the differences and benefits that a diverse culture brings.
This is a part-time, remote position. You can expect anywhere from ~10-30 hours of work per week, with the freedom to work wherever and at whatever times you want. You will be compensated (paid) bi-weekly.
At this time, we can only accept applicants that are over the age of 18 and are currently located in one of the following states: AZ, CA, CO, CT, DE, FL, GA, IL, IN, MA, MD, ME, MI, NJ, NY, OH, OR, PA, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WA, and WI.
At Codecademy, we are committed to teaching people the skills they need to upgrade their careers. Codecademy aims to educate a richly diverse demographic of learners with our product and in order to accomplish this, we believe our team should reflect that rich diversity. Our company celebrates diversity in all of its forms-- race, gender, color, national origin, marital status, sexuality, religion, veteran status, age, ability, disability status-- and works to create an inclusive workplace where people of all backgrounds and beliefs are empowered to better their futures.