- Date Posted
- Sep. 7, 2021
- Software Engineering
At this time, we can only accept applicants that are over the age of 18 and are currently located in one of the following states: CA, CT, FL, GA, IL, MD, MA, MI, NJ, NY, OH, OR, PA, TN, TX, VA and WA.** About Codecademy
Codecademy was started in 2011 by two college students in a dorm room at Columbia that were frustrated by the huge gap between education and employment. Almost a decade later, we are a rapidly growing, diverse team of about 200 distributed through North America and headquartered in SoHo, NYC. We’ve raised over $87.5m in venture capital funding from top investors including Kleiner Perkins, Naspers, Owl Ventures, Union Square Ventures, Y Combinator, and more.
If you want to help build a business that impacts tens of millions of people each year and helps them lead better lives, join us!
Codecademy is looking for an expert programmer or academic to provide guidance as we build our Back-End Web Development offerings. The Subject Matter Expert provides the Codecademy Curriculum team with specialized, up-to-date, nuanced insight into Back-End Web Development and how it should be taught. This is a paid, remote, contract position, with a typical commitment of 3-5 hours per week.
What You’ll Do
- Work with our team, including Curriculum Developers and a Curriculum Manager, to define the principles needed for our content to reflect what is needed for a Back-End Web Development’s toolkit
- Help us create syllabi that reflect those same principles
- Provide complex technical and pedagogical insights in such a way that other team members—and, ultimately, Codecademy learners—can understand
What You’ll Need
- 5+ years of experience as a professional programmer or educator
- Extensive knowledge of Back-End Web Development through real-world experience
- Back-End experience could include, but is not limited to: Back-End libraries like Node.js and Express, Setting up and maintaining servers, creating and maintaining APIs, working with databases, software design principles, to name a few.
- The ability to provide clear, actionable, and empathetic feedback and explanation
- A strong command of written and spoken English
- What Will Make You Stand Out
- 10+ years of experience
- Experience in both programming and education
- Experience teaching Back-End Web Development and related concepts specifically
- Experience in online education at scale
- Experience using the Codecademy platform
- Application Note: With your resume, please share a Github repository demonstrating your work. Should you prefer to share a private repository, a username with whom to share will be provided for you.
- At this time, we can only accept applicants that are over the age of 18 and are currently located in one of the following states: CA, CT, FL, GA, IL, MD, MA, MI, NJ, NY, OH, OR, PA, TN, TX, VA and WA.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Codecademy is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants regardless of race, color, religion, creed, age, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, military or veteran status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law. As an equal opportunities employer, we recognize that diversity is a positive attribute and we welcome the differences and benefits that a diverse culture brings.