- Toronto, CA
- Date Posted
- Nov. 10, 2021
- Data Science
Who are we?
We’re a small, diverse team working at the cutting edge of machine learning. At Cohere, our mission is to build machines that understand the world and to make them safely accessible to all. Language is at the crux of this, but it can be difficult and expensive to parse the syntax, semantics, and context that all work together to give words meaning. The Cohere platform provides access to Large Language Models through its APIs that read billions of web pages and learn to understand the meaning, sentiment, and intent of the words we use in a richness never seen before.
We recently raised our Series A and are focused on bringing our technology to market. We will partner with customers so they can build natural language understanding and generation into their products with just a few lines of code.
We’re ambitious — we believe our technology will fundamentally transform how industries interact with natural language. And we have the technical chops to back it up - Cohere’s CEO, Aidan Gomez, is a co-author of the groundbreaking paper “Attention is all you need”, (over 23k citations) and was previously part of Google Brain. Our entire technical team is world-class.
We are focused on creating a diverse and inclusive work environment so that all of our team members can thrive. We welcome kind and brilliant people to our team, from wherever they come.
Why this role?
The Product Safety Engineer will sit at the intersection of engineering, safety, product, and policy, working with our Machine Learning and Product teams to build out new reporting & monitoring tools, norms, and policies which will be used to ensure the safe deployment of our language model API.
While this role will interface with applied research, it is not a researcher role. Ideal candidates will be excited about the opportunity to work in a high-impact, multidisciplinary technical product role.
Please Note: Our office is located in Toronto, Canada but this role is remote-flexible and is open to those located in either Canada or the US.
As a Product Safety Engineer, you will:
- Assess customer use cases for technical and non-technical deployment risks
- Build automated content monitoring systems to flag misuse of the API
- Investigate content flagged by monitoring systems
- Conduct pre-flight checks with customers shipping applications in production
- Interface with the developer community to shape good norms
- Lead ad-hoc safety/product-related projects. Examples may include updating technical documentation on the website, curating datasets for safety applications, building out incident response processes, working with engineers to prototype safety-related applications, and making product policy decisions.
You may be a good fit if you have:
- Experience building monitoring systems for machine learning systems
- Experience analyzing real-world datasets and presenting findings for technical and non-technical audiences
- Proficiency in SQL and Python
- Demonstrable experience writing technical documentation and shaping technical policy
- Multidisciplinary experience working with teammates in both technical and non-technical roles, including engineers, product staff, and policy & operations staff
- Familiarity with autoregressive sequence models, such as Transformers
- Strong communication and problem solving skills
- A demonstrated passion for applied NLP
This is neither an exhaustive nor necessary set of attributes. Even if none of these apply to you, but you believe you will contribute to Cohere, please reach out. We have a wide variety of backgrounds at Cohere.
- Full health and dental benefits
- Free lunches
- Fitness + well-being initiative
- 6 weeks vacation
- Visa support, if required
- Work closely with a team on the cutting edge of AI research
- Open and inclusive culture and work environment
- Remote flexible
If some of the above doesn’t line up perfectly with your experience, we still encourage you to apply! If you consider yourself a thoughtful worker, a lifelong learner, and a kind and playful team member, Cohere is the place for you.
We welcome applicants of all kinds and are committed to providing both an equal opportunity process and work environment. We value and celebrate diversity and strive to create an inclusive work environment for all.