- Toronto, CA
- Date Posted
- Nov. 10, 2021
Who are we?
We’re a small, diverse team working at the cutting edge of machine learning. At Cohere, our mission is to build machines that understand the world and to make them safely accessible to all. Language is at the crux of this, but it can be difficult and expensive to parse the syntax, semantics, and context that all work together to give words meaning. The Cohere platform provides access to Large Language Models through its APIs that read billions of web pages and learn to understand the meaning, sentiment, and intent of the words we use in a richness never seen before.
We recently raised our Series A and are focused on bringing our technology to market. We will partner with customers so they can build natural language understanding and generation into their products with just a few lines of code.
We’re ambitious — we believe our technology will fundamentally transform how industries interact with natural language. And we have the technical chops to back it up - Cohere’s CEO, Aidan Gomez, is a co-author of the groundbreaking paper “Attention is all you need”, (over 23k citations) and was previously part of Google Brain. Our entire technical team is world-class.
We are focused on creating a diverse and inclusive work environment so that all of our team members can thrive. We welcome kind and brilliant people to our team, from wherever they come.
Why this role?
This role is for you if you are excited about building the next generation of machine learning models and products. Our roles cover creating datasets for machine learning, scaling the pods to serve our API, or even building out security features on our platform. We don’t distinguish interns from full-time employees, we’ll expect you to push code to production. You’ll have full autonomy and ownership while having a good mentorship support framework.
We’re hiring frontend, backend, and infrastructure roles - just let us know during the process if you have a preference! We are open to remote.
Please Note: Our office is located in Toronto, Canada but this role is remote-flexible and is open to those located in either Canada or the US.
As a Software Engineering Intern, you will:
- Design and create scalable infrastructure to serve models
- Design and implement robust data pipelines (crawlers, storage, filters)
- Design and implement scalable services for machine learning development
- Build features for the API platform that directly impact users
- Build internal tooling (CI/CD, dev utilities) to move faster together
- Build tech writing skills through maintaining technical documentation, both internal and external
- Ship delightful experiences for our user-facing products, meticulously crafting code for browsers and occasionally server code
- Keep up with the cutting edge and adopt new technologies to improve performance and reliability
- Full health and dental benefits
- Free lunches
- Fitness + well-being initiative
- 6 weeks vacation
- Visa support, if required
- Work closely with a team on the cutting edge of AI research
- Open and inclusive culture and work environment
- Remote flexible
If some of the above doesn’t line up perfectly with your experience, we still encourage you to apply! If you consider yourself a thoughtful worker, a lifelong learner, and a kind and playful team member, Cohere is the place for you.
We welcome applicants of all kinds and are committed to providing both an equal opportunity process and work environment. We value and celebrate diversity and strive to create an inclusive work environment for all.