- Mountain View
- Date Posted
- Jun. 7, 2021
- Business Development
Confluent is pioneering a fundamentally new category of data infrastructure focused on data in motion. Have you ever found a new favorite series on Netflix, picked up groceries curbside at Walmart, or paid for something using Square? That’s the power of data in motion in action—giving organizations instant access to the massive amounts of data that is constantly flowing throughout their business. At Confluent, we’re building the foundational platform for this new paradigm of data infrastructure. Our cloud-native offering is designed to be the intelligent connective tissue enabling real-time data, from multiple sources, to constantly stream across the organization. With Confluent, organizations can create a central nervous system to innovate and win in a digital-first world.
We’re looking for self-motivated team members who crave a challenge and feel energized to roll up their sleeves and help realize Confluent’s enormous potential. Chart your own path and take healthy risks as we solve big problems together. We value having diverse teams and want you to grow as we grow—whether you’re just starting out in your career or managing a large team, you’ll be amazed at the magnitude of your impact.
About the role:
Developers sit in the heart of Confluent’s DNA, with the whole company being heavily influenced by our open source roots. The Developer Relations function is in many ways the personification of this. As a result, it enjoys an elevated position in the organization, reporting directly to the Office of the CTO.
As Head of Developer Relations, you will be directly responsible for our Developer Advocate, Integration Architecture, and Technologist teams and all developer-facing thought-leading content.
We are looking for a leader who can build and grow this team to create the world’s number 1 developer-focussed learning and thought leadership function. This team will be responsible for building our developer portal at developer.confluent.io, creating content watched by hundreds of thousands of developers, and supporting the Apache Kafka and Confluent developer communities as they grow.
The role will involve direct line management responsibilities for these teams, planning and executing key initiatives, interfacing with other parts of the organization, and ensuring that the teams work efficiently, with clear commitments and targets.
What sort of person are you?
You’re likely to be leading either a developer relation or engineering team and applying your understanding of software, people, organizations, and products to solve the big problems faced in software delivery. You’re likely to have developer advocacy experience yourself, speaking, writing, and engaging with the developer community and with a deep understanding of open source technology and how developers think.
What you’ll do day-to-day
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the three teams, setting and tracking goals and objectives (OKRs), ensuring team members do not become blocked or overwhelmed, mapping work back to the group’s long-term plan, and hitting fixed delivery commitments.
- You’ll also be involved in helping team members to stay productive and ensure work has a tangible value that is either measurable or well-substantiated in other ways.
- Provide the executive team with tracking and status updates for key metrics and content initiatives.
- Work with program management to negotiate cross-team dependencies ensuring overlapping goals have clear divisions of responsibility and a process through which those divisions can change.
- Grow the team, build out a hiring pipeline, define the interview process and ensure we hire the best thought leaders in the industry.
- Own community commitments. For example, ensure the smooth operation of the talk submission and vetting process (Call for Papers) for Kafka Summit, the world’s premier conference for the Apache Kafka community, with thousands of attendees.
- Liaise with our content operations team to build innovative and thought-leading web assets that serve the Apache Kafka and Confluent developer communities. Also, liaise with the product team to ensure that feedback from the developer community influences the product.
- Work with our industry luminaries to build and deliver exciting new content across different media: conference talks, blogs, web content, video, etc.
- Deliver (occasional) content yourself, if only to keep your eye in (talks, meetups, podcasts, blog posts, etc.).
Come As You Are
At Confluent, equality is a core tenet of our culture. We are committed to building an inclusive global team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, beliefs, and experiences. The more diverse we are, the richer our community and the broader our impact.
Click here to review our California Candidate Privacy Notice, which describes how and when Confluent, Inc., and its group companies, collects, uses, and shares certain personal information of California job applicants and prospective employees.