- Mountain View
- Date Posted
- May. 31, 2021
Confluent is pioneering a fundamentally new category of data infrastructure focused on data in motion. Have you ever found a new favorite series on Netflix, picked up groceries curbside at Walmart, or paid for something using Square? That’s the power of data in motion in action—giving organizations instant access to the massive amounts of data that is constantly flowing throughout their business. At Confluent, we’re building the foundational platform for this new paradigm of data infrastructure. Our cloud-native offering is designed to be the intelligent connective tissue enabling real-time data, from multiple sources, to constantly stream across the organization. With Confluent, organizations can create a central nervous system to innovate and win in a digital-first world.
We’re looking for self-motivated team members who crave a challenge and feel energized to roll up their sleeves and help realize Confluent’s enormous potential. Chart your own path and take healthy risks as we solve big problems together. We value having diverse teams and want you to grow as we grow—whether you’re just starting out in your career or managing a large team, you’ll be amazed at the magnitude of your impact.
About the role:
The Senior Manager, Technical Revenue will lead and help build out the Technical Revenue Team and will be a key business partner to Sales, Sales Ops, Business Development, Legal and FP&A. In this role, you will be the subject matter expert on revenue accounting and engage with the business to provide revenue recognition guidance on a variety of areas including contract reviews, non-standard sales deals, and new product introductions. You will also be responsible for documenting the Company’s accounting positions and communicating them to varying levels in the organization and external auditors.
The ideal candidate is an experienced CPA with at least 6 years of progressively responsible experience at either a Big 4 public accounting firm or a publicly traded, high-tech organization with a minimum of 1 year in a revenue specific role. You should have experience from a global, growing software company that has on-premise software revenue and SaaS.
This position will be based in Mountain View, CA and will report to the Director of Revenue.
- Ensure desirable revenue accounting results and provide revenue recognition guidance on our most complex revenue transactions through training of the Technical Revenue Team and participating in contract reviews.
- Key business partner and collaborator to Sales, Sales Ops, Business Development, Legal and FP&A. Lead trainings on how to apply revenue recognition guidelines for SaaS and on-premises offerings.
- Draft or review technical revenue memos to document key revenue conclusions and lead the continued improvement of the Company’s revenue-related policies.
- Review revenue checklists prepared for material contracts which document technical revenue considerations related to each deal and ensure compliance with our revenue recognition policies.
- Assess new product offerings and go-to-market strategies for technical revenue considerations.
- Drive process improvements as they relate to the contract review and the overall Quote to Cash process.
- Ensure the team maintains knowledge of current accounting standards and SEC reporting requirements as it relates to revenue recognition.
- Mentor, train and develop a growing Technical Revenue Team currently consisting of two Senior Revenue Accountants.
What We’re Looking For:
- BA/BS degree in Accounting, Finance or related field
- 6 years of progressively responsible experience at either a Big 4 public accounting firm or a global, publicly traded high-tech organization with a minimum of 1 year in a revenue role
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP and primarily revenue recognition (ASC 606) as it applies to on-premise software revenue and SaaS
- Demonstrated experience thinking strategically about issues, leading to recommendations and action plans
- Attention to detail and experience multitasking and prioritizing to deliver impact in a fast-paced environment
- Strong analytical and problem resolution skills, including the ability to research accounting literature and simplify complex situations
- Excellent interpersonal skills (oral and written) and the ability to communicate effectively with all levels at the company
- Intermediate to advanced Excel skills
- CPA certification or equivalent practical experience
Come As You Are
At Confluent, equality is a core tenet of our culture. We are committed to building an inclusive global team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, beliefs, and experiences. The more diverse we are, the richer our community and the broader our impact.