- Mountain View
- Date Posted
- May. 31, 2021
Confluent is pioneering a fundamentally new category of data infrastructure focused on data in motion. Have you ever found a new favorite series on Netflix, picked up groceries curbside at Walmart, or paid for something using Square? That’s the power of data in motion in action—giving organizations instant access to the massive amounts of data that is constantly flowing throughout their business. At Confluent, we’re building the foundational platform for this new paradigm of data infrastructure. Our cloud-native offering is designed to be the intelligent connective tissue enabling real-time data, from multiple sources, to constantly stream across the organization. With Confluent, organizations can create a central nervous system to innovate and win in a digital-first world.
We’re looking for self-motivated team members who crave a challenge and feel energized to roll up their sleeves and help realize Confluent’s enormous potential. Chart your own path and take healthy risks as we solve big problems together. We value having diverse teams and want you to grow as we grow—whether you’re just starting out in your career or managing a large team, you’ll be amazed at the magnitude of your impact.
About The Role:
As a Sr. Principal Engineer at Confluent, you will be a pragmatic visionary taking on Confluent’s most challenging problems, someone who can translate both immediate and strategic needs into workable technology solutions. You will be a leader in the organization, a highly visible example of engineering and architectural excellence, who will establish technical standards to move the organization forward, who will be a key driver of Confluent engineering values across the team, and who will identify and help mentor future technical leaders in the organization. You will be a leader outside of the organization in technical communities bringing a strong following and technical network and be an external face of Confluent Engineering in the industry.
For this specific role, we are looking for an experienced security engineer, who will focus on building new strategic security projects and work directly with software developers to understand their needs, and design security systems and solutions that enable developers to operate more effectively, securely and safely.
You will work closely with the product team to define the security product roadmap for both Cloud and on-premise solutions. You will work closely with infosec and engineering teams to drive the compliance initiatives and redefine structural security as a code. You will work closely with designers to conceptualize complex security concepts into easy to understand customer-facing abstractions. You will work with broad engineering teams to architect secure scalable architecture.
We intend to be the world’s best, fastest, and most complete stream processing service built by an excellent team, all while having fun - come join us on the journey!
Who You Are:
- Smart, humble, and empathetic
- Have a strong sense of teamwork and put team’s and company’s interests first
- Driven and excited about challenges of a fast-paced, innovative software startup environment
What You’ll Do:
- Serve as the technical lead in the design, implementation, and deployment of successful cross-functional security projects
- Provide technical leadership to deliver a highly scalable, available and *secure* on-prem and Cloud offering
- Build tooling, drive process improvements, and work with service owners to develop secure solutions to complex technical challenges across Confluent
- Collaborate with product teams, platform and infrastructure teams, and infosec teams to identify opportunities to improve our security posture
- Help establish technical standards and drive Confluent’s overall technical architecture and engineering practices especially around security.
- Assist directly and indirectly in the continual hiring and development of technical talent
- Facilitate technical collaboration across Confluent, increasing productivity and effectiveness by sharing your deep knowledge and experience
- Ensure the quality of architecture and design of systems
- Functionally decompose complex problems into simple, straight-forward solutions
What We’re Looking For:
- 10+ years of experience in some of the following areas: identifying security issues and risks, and developing mitigation plans, cryptography, threat modeling, pen tests, or vulnerability assessments
- 5+ experience in building complex, service oriented software development
- Experience with architecture, design and development of large scale platforms
- Experience defining secure architectures, design and development of asynchronous messaging platforms
- Strong knowledge of data structures, algorithms, asynchronous architectures and distributed algorithms
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences
- Have experience in the development of security products
- Have experience with cloud computing services/deployment architecture
- Experience driving complex projects, with significant bottom-line impact
- Experience playing a visionary leadership role within a large organization
Come As You Are
At Confluent, equality is a core tenet of our culture. We are committed to building an inclusive global team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, beliefs, and experiences. The more diverse we are, the richer our community and the broader our impact.
Click here to review our California Candidate Privacy Notice, which describes how and when Confluent, Inc., and its group companies, collects, uses, and shares certain personal information of California job applicants and prospective employees.