- Mountain View
- Date Posted
- Jun. 7, 2021
Confluent is pioneering a fundamentally new category of data infrastructure focused on data in motion. Have you ever found a new favorite series on Netflix, picked up groceries curbside at Walmart, or paid for something using Square? That’s the power of data in motion in action—giving organizations instant access to the massive amounts of data that is constantly flowing throughout their business. At Confluent, we’re building the foundational platform for this new paradigm of data infrastructure. Our cloud-native offering is designed to be the intelligent connective tissue enabling real-time data, from multiple sources, to constantly stream across the organization. With Confluent, organizations can create a central nervous system to innovate and win in a digital-first world.
We’re looking for self-motivated team members who crave a challenge and feel energized to roll up their sleeves and help realize Confluent’s enormous potential. Chart your own path and take healthy risks as we solve big problems together. We value having diverse teams and want you to grow as we grow—whether you’re just starting out in your career or managing a large team, you’ll be amazed at the magnitude of your impact.
About the Role
We are seeking a business-oriented attorney with experience in global privacy laws to join our growing legal team. In this role, you will assist in the development, implementation, and assessments of company-wide privacy and data governance programs, policies and procedures. To be successful in this role, you must be able to work independently, to build systems and processes, and to collaborate with teams and colleagues around the world.
In the legal department, we are passionate about enabling customer success, while building a strong foundation for the future. We strive to provide thoughtful and pragmatic counsel and to minimize risks as we pursue business opportunities. We thrive by working together to solve complex challenges, supporting and learning from each other, and having fun!
What You’ll Do
- Help evaluate, enhance, and scale existing privacy and data governance programs, including: program operations and documentation; employee training; policy and program monitoring, auditing, and enforcement; and third-party risk assessment.
- Assist in developing and maintaining privacy and data governance policies and procedures, as well as strategic internal and external communications.
- Partner with internal teams and stakeholders to perform periodic data privacy hygiene and risk assessments, mitigation and remediation, including data inventory audits, data privacy by design, accountability and compliance monitoring, and the mitigation of privacy and security risks.
- Assist in the development and dissemination of privacy and data governance training materials and other communications to increase employee understanding of Confluent’s privacy and data governance policies, practices, procedures, and legal obligations.
- Partner with our commercial legal team to provide privacy-related advice for inbound and outbound commercial agreements, including advice on customer impact of the implementation of post-Schrems Standard Contractual Clauses in the EU.
- Develop and maintain knowledge of current and proposed privacy laws and regulations applicable to the business worldwide, including GDPR and CCPA.
- Ensure the accurate filing, organization, maintenance and sharing of privacy materials, documentation, and records.
- Provide legal support for privacy and security incidents, compliance and internal investigations.
What We’re Looking For
- JD from a top tier law school.
- Minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience in law firms and/or in-house legal departments. In-house experience at a high-growth global technology company is strongly preferred.
- Active membership in good standing in at least one (1) state bar.
- Strong knowledge of GDPR and CCPA,
- CIPP/US or CIPP/E, and ability and willingness to achieve both within six (6) months.
- Strong understanding of software technology and cloud services, associated business models, and technology industry trends.
- Self-starting, proactive, adaptable person who can prioritize and manage multiple projects and recalibrate advice in view of evolving priorities, legal developments and risk tolerance.
- Excellent legal and business judgment with the ability to assess and communicate risks to business partners in a clear and actionable way.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including the ability to explain concepts clearly to non-lawyers.
- High level of integrity, team orientation, and treating others with respect.
- People who are smart, humble and empathetic, and who enjoy working as one team to get things done!
Come As You Are
At Confluent, equality is a core tenet of our culture. We are committed to building an inclusive global team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, beliefs, and experiences. The more diverse we are, the richer our community and the broader our impact.