- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- May. 24, 2021
- Software Engineering
Confluent is pioneering a fundamentally new category of data infrastructure focused on data in motion. Have you ever found a new favorite series on Netflix, picked up groceries curbside at Walmart, or paid for something using Square? That’s the power of data in motion in action—giving organizations instant access to the massive amounts of data that is constantly flowing throughout their business. At Confluent, we’re building the foundational platform for this new paradigm of data infrastructure. Our cloud-native offering is designed to be the intelligent connective tissue enabling real-time data, from multiple sources, to constantly stream across the organization. With Confluent, organizations can create a central nervous system to innovate and win in a digital-first world.
We’re looking for self-motivated team members who crave a challenge and feel energized to roll up their sleeves and help realize Confluent’s enormous potential. Chart your own path and take healthy risks as we solve big problems together. We value having diverse teams and want you to grow as we grow—whether you’re just starting out in your career or managing a large team, you’ll be amazed at the magnitude of your impact.
About the Role
In this role as an engineering leader at Confluent you will drive our charter to build an elastic, scalable, efficient, SQL-based, stream processing technology that operates both on-prem and in the Cloud. You will guide the vision, recruit, and enable a high performing engineering team that solves complex distributed data processing challenges at scale.
What you’ll do
- Solve challenging problems that will disrupt the stream processing space
- Manage a team of high-performing engineers and leads, helping them to continue growing their skillset through hands-on experience and mentorship. Provide timely and productive feedback, encourage a growth mindset, and advise team members in setting and working toward personal development goals
- Nurture a culture of excellence on the team through a focus on hiring, communication, execution, and work quality
- Collaborate with others in engineering and product leadership to create the long-term roadmap and quarterly deliverables for your team
- Effectively communicate the roadmap and strategy within the team and across the organization
- Create and manage processes that enable team members to do their best work
What we’re looking for
- 3+ years of engineering management experience leading productive, high functioning teams
- Ability to ensure a high hiring bar, keep engineers motivated, coach/mentor and handle performance management issues
- Experience running large stateful data systems and production services in the cloud
- Strong fundamentals in distributed systems design and development
- A great track record of shipping features and hitting deadlines consistently. Ability to move fast, build in increments, and iterate. A sense of urgency, a mindset towards achieving results, and excellent prioritization skills. Ability to anticipate future technical needs for the product and craft plans to realize them
- Ability to influence the team, peers and upper management using effective communication and collaborative techniques
- Focus on building and maintaining a culture of collaboration within the team
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science
Additional highly desirable experience
- Stream processing systems
- Structured query serving systems
- Data processing systems in general
Come As You Are
At Confluent, equality is a core tenet of our culture. We are committed to building an inclusive global team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, beliefs, and experiences. The more diverse we are, the richer our community and the broader our impact.
Click here to review our California Candidate Privacy Notice, which describes how and when Confluent, Inc., and its group companies, collects, uses, and shares certain personal information of California job applicants and prospective employees.