- Date Posted
- Sep. 28, 2021
- Software Engineering
Confluent is pioneering a fundamentally new category of data infrastructure focused on data in motion. Have you ever found a new favorite series on Netflix, picked up groceries curbside at Walmart, or paid for something using Square? That’s the power of data in motion in action—giving organizations instant access to the massive amounts of data that is constantly flowing throughout their business. At Confluent, we’re building the foundational platform for this new paradigm of data infrastructure. Our cloud-native offering is designed to be the intelligent connective tissue enabling real-time data, from multiple sources, to constantly stream across the organization. With Confluent, organizations can create a central nervous system to innovate and win in a digital-first world.
We’re looking for self-motivated team members who crave a challenge and feel energized to roll up their sleeves and help realize Confluent’s enormous potential. Chart your own path and take healthy risks as we solve big problems together. We value having diverse teams and want you to grow as we grow—whether you’re just starting out in your career or managing a large team, you’ll be amazed at the magnitude of your impact.
As one of the fastest-growing enterprise companies in history, and with Fortune 100 customers across major industries, we have a tremendous opportunity in front of us. We also have experience on our side. Our leaders have taken companies of our size to major success before and include some of the original creators of Apache Kafka®.
Confluent is looking for a Software Engineer II to join our Kafka Global team. The Kafka Global team’s mission is to build simple and comprehensive solutions for Kafka clusters that are disaster-resilient, highly available, and will easily migrate across multi-cloud/hybrid and on-premise environments, which is critical to setting data in motion. If you’re interested in building large scale distributed systems in the cloud and are excited to make an impact, then this opportunity is for you!
About The Role:
We are a team of passionate engineers who love solving complex distributed systems and infrastructure problems. We are building Kafka to serve as the central nervous system for data in motion. You will work on building the next generation Kafka by continuing to push the boundaries of distributed system design, testing and focus on tenets that include availability, durability, performance, security, observability, cost. We build software that runs in both on-premises and in the Cloud. We significantly contribute to open source Apache Kafka deployed in production environments by several organizations' in the world. Here are examples of some of the challenges we’ve taken on in recent years:
- Scaling Kafka to 10+ GB/s
- Infinite Storage in Kafka
- Exactly-Once Semantics are Possible
- Kafka Needs no Keeper
- Get Automatic, Self-Balancing Kafka Clusters
- Multi Region Data Replication
- Introducing Cluster Linking
Who You Are:
- Smart, humble, and empathetic
- Have a strong sense of teamwork and put team’s and company’s interests first
- Driven and excited about challenges of a fast-paced, innovative software startup environment
What We’re Looking For:
- Strong fundamentals in distributed systems design and development
- Experience building and operating large-scale systems
- Solid understanding of basic systems operations (disk, network, operating systems, etc)
- Experience running production services in cloud.
- A self starter with the ability to work effectively in teams
- Proficiency in any of these Java, C/ C++, Go, .NET
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or similar field or equivalent and 4+ years of equivalent work experience
What Gives You An Edge:
- Experience in open-source development, experience using Apache Kafka is a big plus
- Interest in evangelism (giving talks at tech conferences, writing blog posts evangelizing Kafka)
- Experience working on databases or data storage.
- Solid experience working with large public clouds
Come As You Are
At Confluent, equality is a core tenet of our culture. We are committed to building an inclusive global team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, beliefs, and experiences. The more diverse we are, the richer our community and the broader our impact.