- Date Posted
- May. 31, 2021
- Software Engineering
Confluent is pioneering a fundamentally new category of data infrastructure focused on data in motion. Have you ever found a new favorite series on Netflix, picked up groceries curbside at Walmart, or paid for something using Square? That’s the power of data in motion in action—giving organizations instant access to the massive amounts of data that is constantly flowing throughout their business. At Confluent, we’re building the foundational platform for this new paradigm of data infrastructure. Our cloud-native offering is designed to be the intelligent connective tissue enabling real-time data, from multiple sources, to constantly stream across the organization. With Confluent, organizations can create a central nervous system to innovate and win in a digital-first world.
We’re looking for self-motivated team members who crave a challenge and feel energized to roll up their sleeves and help realize Confluent’s enormous potential. Chart your own path and take healthy risks as we solve big problems together. We value having diverse teams and want you to grow as we grow—whether you’re just starting out in your career or managing a large team, you’ll be amazed at the magnitude of your impact.
About The Role:
As a Sr. Principal Engineer at Confluent, you will be a pragmatic visionary taking on Confluent’s most challenging problems, someone who can translate both immediate and strategic needs into workable technology solutions. You will be a leader in the organization, a highly visible example of engineering and architectural excellence, who will establish technical standards to move the organization forward, who will be a key driver of Confluent engineering values across the team, and who will identify and help mentor future technical leaders in the organization. You will be a leader outside of the organization in technical communities bringing a strong following and technical network and be an external face of Confluent Engineering in the industry.
For this specific role, we are looking for a technical leader that will drive the definition and evolution of a market defining event streaming database. The product and technology you would help deliver is envisioned to be an event streaming database leader in open source, on-premises and on the cloud. You would work with a team of engineers to deliver a product that’s elastic, scalable, efficient, SQL-based and is leading the way on stream processing technology. You can learn more about what we do by visiting ksqldb.io, or reading some of our recent posts on improving the availability guarantees of our distributed stateful systems. You can also learn about the vision for ksqlDB in this video of our co-founder and CEO, Jay Kreps, presenting a keynote at Kafka Summit.
Who You Are:
- Smart, humble, and empathetic
- Have a strong sense of teamwork and put team’s and company’s interests first
- Driven and excited about challenges of a fast-paced, innovative software startup environment
What You’ll Do:
- Drive the definition and delivery of a streaming database by focussing on storage and query layers
- Lead the team and the product on aspects of query optimization, execution and data storage optimization
- Design solutions to improve the efficiency, reliability, and operability of our distributed, stateful, data processing systems in public clouds
- Build novel solutions to enable efficient and scalable querying of state materialized from real time event streams.
- Interact with the Apache Kafka and the ksqlDB communities to provide technical guidance and thought leadership in the stream processing space
- Deliver high impact to the business by driving important technical initiatives in areas comprising (but not limited) to operational improvements, stability, reliability, quality, developer productivity, architectural hygiene, major component refactor, etc. across organizational boundaries
- Build and implement engineering quality standards, design principles, architectural maturity, resiliency and operational gold standards across Confluent
What We’re Looking For:
- Expertise in database storage layers. Experience working on flash or disk optimized storage systems for query workloads
- Expertise in database query layers. Experience working on query optimization, distributed query processing and advanced production query operators: high performance joins, etc.
- Experience building large scale production distributed data storage and processing systems
- Over 10 years of experience in delivering scalable software solutions
- Over 5 years of experience in building storage systems
- Over 5 years of experience in building distributed cloud services
- Track record of providing technical leadership and mentoring
- Proficiency in Java or C / C++
Come As You Are
At Confluent, equality is a core tenet of our culture. We are committed to building an inclusive global team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, beliefs, and experiences. The more diverse we are, the richer our community and the broader our impact.
Click here to review our California Candidate Privacy Notice, which describes how and when Confluent, Inc., and its group companies, collects, uses, and shares certain personal information of California job applicants and prospective employees.