- Date Posted
- May. 26, 2021
- Engineering Hardware
Cowboy is a Belgian startup that is developing innovative electric bikes for urban riders. Cowboy’s main goal is to improve urban mobility and take commuters to their destination in a more enjoyable, sustainable and efficient manner.
Founded in 2017 by entrepreneurs Adrien Roose, Karim Slaoui and Tanguy Goretti, Cowboy is headquartered in Brussels, Belgium. Cowboy is the winner of the Eurobike 2017, the Red-Dot bicycle design award 2018 and the Red-Dot “Best of the Best” award for the Cowboy 2.
With traffic congestion plaguing metropolitan areas, electric bikes are proving to be the fastest means of transportation, beating cars and ground public transport. Cowboy’s vision is to elevate the daily commute to the next level in terms of speed, comfort and freedom of movement around the city. Cowboy enhances the riding experience by unifying intelligent technology, delightful design and meticulous customer service.
In April 2019, Cowboy launched its second model, the Cowboy 2, and introduced it to 8 additional countries (Germany, France, the Netherlands, Luxembourg, Austria, Italy, Spain and the United Kingdom). In June 2020, Cowboy unveiled its third generation electric bike.
In July 2020, Cowboy raised €23 Million from international investors (including Exor Seeds, the early stage investment arm of Exor, Isomer Capital, Future Positive Capital and Index Ventures) in the Series B round. Cowboy plans to recruit 30+ new talent in the next six months, scale operations, and expand its footprint across Europe through its Test Ride and Mobile Service networks.
About the role
We’re looking for an experienced Electrical Engineer to join us here at Cowboy and help us achieve our ambitious vision: to change urban mobility through mass production of high-tech yet affordable electric bicycles.
Partnering with talented Electronics and Firmware teams, you will develop and improve our embedded system and system architecture. From concept to production, from the choice of supplier to DFM.
As a key part of the Electrical Engineering team you will have the chance to work on a project from start to end and shape the future engineering team of Cowboy.
- Main responsibility areas of the role
- Develop, integrate, evaluate Embedded electronics (Architecture design, Specification creation, Component selection, Schematic capture, and PCB Layout, evaluation and certification)
- Work closely with the Firmware team
- Create and maintain standard specifications for electronics.
- Perform design review for RF module and other electronic and power module
- Support product team to define new features specification and evaluate technical feasibility by rapid prototyping
- Write test plans and perform testing and test reporting
- Work closely with electronics assemblers and sub-contractors; on-site when required
Who we are looking for
- Master’s degree in Electronics Engineering with 5+ years of relevant industry experience.
- Comfortable with mixed-signal electronics PCB design (digital, analogue, RF, power)
- Comfortable with communication protocols including UART, I²C, SPI, CAN, JTAG etc…
- Comfortable with basic discrete component design such as BJT, MOSFETs, Diodes, circuit protection and switching solutions.
- Experience with power circuit design with linear and switching voltage regulators.
- Experience with ARM, MSP430, AVR ATMEGA, PIC or similar microcontrollers.
- Experience with simulation tools such as Spice/LTSpice.
- Experience with designing within thermal management requirements.
- Comfortable with electronics test and measurement lab environment (Oscilloscopes, spectrum analyser, VNA…)
- Comfortable with main electronics RF metrics (Noise figure, smith chart, Signal to noise ratio, dBm, S params, phase noise, clock stability ppm and jitter, antenna radiation pattern…)
- Comfortable with PCB soldering with small SMT components packages.
- Experience with PCB integration with mechanical constraints and design for manufacturing and test.
- Layout experience with multi-layer and high integration level PCB.
- Excellent written and verbal communicator, proven track record of working in a dynamic cross functional team.
- Rigorous in writing documentation and test report.
- Well organised and have the ability to be flexible in a changing work environment.
- Experience with wireless module PCB implementation and test (BLE, 2/3/4G modem, GNSS …)
- Experience Altium tools schematic capture and layout
- Experience writing firmware in C/C++ including use of chip-vendor APIs
- Experience with certification (CE, RED, EMC…).
- Experience with end of production line functional testers specification.
- Experience with layout routing with impedance-controlled PCB traces.
- Experience with Python for test setup automation and data analysis
- Become one of the key employees of a fast-growing startup with open, respectful and fun company culture.
- Have a real impact on the company’s growth and evolution
- Work with people who love what they do every day
- Highly competitive salary package
Just like our rider community in cities across Europe, diversity is a strength. No matter where you come from, or the path you’re on, Cowboy is inclusive and so is our workplace. Your unique skills, passion, and perspective will help us continue to transform mobility and urban life for the better.