- Date Posted
- May. 26, 2021
Cowboy is a Belgian startup that is developing innovative electric bikes for urban riders. Cowboy’s main goal is to improve urban mobility and take commuters to their destination in a more enjoyable, sustainable and efficient manner.
Founded in 2017 by entrepreneurs Adrien Roose, Karim Slaoui and Tanguy Goretti, Cowboy is headquartered in Brussels, Belgium. Cowboy is the winner of the Eurobike 2017, the Red-Dot bicycle design award 2018 and the Red-Dot “Best of the Best” award for the Cowboy 2.
With traffic congestion plaguing metropolitan areas, electric bikes are proving to be the fastest means of transportation, beating cars and ground public transport. Cowboy’s vision is to elevate the daily commute to the next level in terms of speed, comfort and freedom of movement around the city. Cowboy enhances the riding experience by unifying intelligent technology, delightful design and meticulous customer service.
In April 2019, Cowboy launched its second model, the Cowboy 2, and introduced it to 8 additional countries (Germany, France, the Netherlands, Luxembourg, Austria, Italy, Spain and the United Kingdom). In June 2020, Cowboy unveiled its third generation electric bike.
In July 2020, Cowboy raised €23 Million from international investors (including Exor Seeds, the early stage investment arm of Exor, Isomer Capital, Future Positive Capital and Index Ventures) in the Series B round. Cowboy plans to recruit 30+ new talent in the next six months, scale operations, and expand its footprint across Europe through its Test Ride and Mobile Service networks.
About the role
Cowboy is growing rapidly as we launch our product internationally and scale the team in all areas. To support that growth, we’re looking for a highly analytical and enthusiastic individual to join us as Tax Manager. This is an excellent opportunity to make a huge contribution to Finance at Cowboy. Reporting to the CFO, you will be responsible for all tax planning and compliance, for the Cowboy Group as it expands internationally. We are also looking for someone with a lot of potential, who wants to grow and develop in the role.
What you’ll be doing
- Managing all tax for Cowboy globally
- Ensuring timely and accurate submission of VAT and Sales Tax returns
- Ensuring timely and accurate submission of Income Tax returns
- Ensuring compliance of Import Duties, and maintenance of relevant licenses
- Assessing Cowboy’s activities for exposure to other taxes e.g. Withholding tax
- Supporting the business with answers to tax implications of new initiatives
- Setting up entities globally
- Managing Cowboy’s group structure and transfer pricing
- Setting Cowboy’s VAT and Duties structuring to minimize cost and complexity
- Working with tax advisors on all of the above
- Working closely with the accounting team on the implementation of tax initiatives
- Working with supply chain to ensure all records are captured
- Supporting the CFO on further tax related projects
- Growing in the role and taking on increased responsibilities
You’ll have the ideal combination of startup finance talents: highly numerate, strategic yet obsessed with detail, resourceful, and a great colleague whose helpful and friendly attitude is a delight to those they interact with. You’ll be cool under pressure and able to work independently to hit tight deadlines.
Who we are looking for
- Qualified tax professional
- Experience with VAT
- Good accounting knowledge
- Experience in a similar role
- Experience managing or overseeing junior team members
- Experience in developing robust and scalable processes
- Strong project management skills
- High numeracy, and ability to dive into detail
- Excellent communicator
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office (particularly Excel)
- Eager to learn and develop their career in a start-up
- Become one of the key employees of a fast-growing startup with open, respectful and fun company culture.
- Have a real impact on the company’s growth and evolution
- Work with people who love what they do every day
- Highly competitive salary package
Just like our rider community in cities across Europe, diversity is a strength. No matter where you come from, or the path you’re on, Cowboy is inclusive and so is our workplace. Your unique skills, passion, and perspective will help us continue to transform mobility and urban life for the better.