- New York
- Date Posted
- Jun. 9, 2021
- Software Engineering
We’re on a mission to build the best platform in the world for engineers to understand and scale their systems, applications, and teams. We operate at high scale—trillions of data points per day—providing always-on alerting, metrics visualization, logs, and application tracing for tens of thousands of companies. Our engineering culture values pragmatism, honesty, and simplicity to solve hard problems the right way.
Datadog’s Staff Engineers are our technical leaders operating at the forefront of technology, building solutions that take us through at least our next five years of growth. They do this in three major ways:
As individual contributors, they bring world class technical abilities to deliver industry leading systems in areas such as data visualization, virtual runtime profiling, and planet scale streaming.
As technical leaders they bring experienced technical breadth and communication skills to tackling design and architectural problems spanning the organization, charting the right course, then leading delivery.
In both roles they participate in the staff engineering community and help us learn from what the industry is doing and what we’ve built before, and so improve company wide standards around software and systems engineering.
Some examples of projects a staff engineer may own include designing and building a new data storage engine handling hundreds of millions of records per second, being the lead engineer building a new product like synthetics or profiling, or rebuilding a critical service to handle the next two orders of magnitude of scale.
- You have a BS/MS/PhD in a scientific field or equivalent experience
- 10+ years of relevant engineering experience
- 4+ years of technical leadership experience, either as a manager or technical leader
- You have led the design and delivery of industry-leading systems, either in their unique depth of technical expertise needed and/or in their scope of impact across a company’s engineering org.
- Be the technical owner of multiple pieces of critical architecture in your area of the business.
- Own delivery of the systems you architect from beginning-to-end, doing what it takes to get things shipped and at full scale in production.
- Dive deep into performance of systems; inventing new approaches that bring efficiency at scale.