- Date Posted
- May. 31, 2021
- Business Intelligence
When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London in 2004 and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. In 2013 Deliveroo was launched. Fast forward to 2020 and we operate in 12 markets with over 60,000 riders who deliver orders from 60,000 restaurants in over 500 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allows us to deliver our orders in around 30 minutes.
And we’re just getting started.
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion pound company that has grown rapidly. Deliveroo came top in the FT’s’ list of Europe’s fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte’s ‘UK Top 50’ two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
Working as part of our analytics engineering team, your role will be to provide clean, tested, well-documented and well-modelled data sets, that will to enable and empower data scientists and business users alike, via tools like Snowflake and/or Looker.
- You’ll work with product engineering teams to ensure modelling of source data meets downstream requirements.
- You will maintain and develop SQL data transformation scripts, and advise and review data scientists on data modelling to achieve denormalised and aggregated output datasets.
- You’ll work with data scientists and other analytics engineers to surface clean, intuitive datasets in our BI tool, Looker.
You will be responsible for optimisation and further adoption of Looker as a data product in the business, catering to ~1500 current active users who need to discover and interact with data.
- Excellent SQL skills
- Understanding of data warehousing, data modelling concepts and structuring new data tables
- Good working knowledge of cloud based MPP data warehousing (e.g. Snowflake, BigQuery, Redshift)
- Experience managing the administration and/or adoption of a data visualisation tool (e.g. Looker, Tableau, Power BI)
Desired / nice to have
- Strong Looker developer skills, with an emphasis on LookML modelling and overall project/model design
- Good practical understanding of version control
- SQL ETL/ELT knowledge, experience with DAGs to manage script dependencies
- Python coding skills, particularly in the areas of automation & integrations
- Good knowledge of the Looker API
- Good communications skills across all levels of stakeholder (business & technical)
- An ability to break down and explain complex technical concepts to business end users
Life at Deliveroo
We are a growing team, with very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, we’re always looking for new ideas and we’re very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven’t even encountered. How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-ups around.