- Date Posted
- Jun. 22, 2021
- Data Science
When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 7 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 6 years and we operate in 13 countries with over 70,000 riders who deliver orders from 80,000 restaurants in over 500 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are already transforming the way people think about food, providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three-sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauces that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we’re just getting started.
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT’s’ list of Europe’s fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte’s ‘UK Top 50’ two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
We are looking for ML Engineers for our new ML Platform team. Our ideal candidates have experience creating a working platform to productionise ML models. ML Engineers on this team will work with other ML Engineers & Software Engineers to define the end-to-end vision of our machine learning platform strategy, you will contribute innovative ideas and ingenious implementations to the team, and are capable of planning out scalable, maintainable data pipelines, services, and products. You will be interfacing with data scientists, ML engineers, SWE and business stakeholders through various areas of the Deliveroo ecosystem.
A typical day would involve:
- 1) Training machine learning models on hundreds of millions of real-time datapoints.
- 2) Implement state-of-the-art models for forecasting, fraud detection, recommendation systems, and NLP solutions, just to name a few!
- 3) Deploy models into production through CI/CD processes
- 4) Deploying truly scalable machine learning applications that serve millions of global customers everyday and genuinely drive business outcomes
- 5) Have significant influence on our overall system architecture, working closely with world-leading SWEs and Product Teams
- Solid hands-on experience applying machine learning techniques to build models integrated into applications.
- Experience in building end to end ML pipelines, making trade-offs between low latency and high throughput
- Experience in deploying models to production
- Strong software development skills including software testing, object-oriented programming, bash scripting, databases, design patterns and version control
- Development experience with cloud platforms
- Experience with deep learning frameworks such as TensorFlow
- Strong working knowledge of ML algorithms including decision trees, probability networks, association rules, clustering, regression, and neural networks.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to present to senior management
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of scaling up one of the most exciting companies in tech.