- Date Posted
- Jun. 22, 2021
- Data Science
When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 7 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 6 years and we operate in 13 countries with over 70,000 riders who deliver orders from 80,000 restaurants in over 500 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are already transforming the way people think about food, providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three-sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauces that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we’re just getting started.
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT’s’ list of Europe’s fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte’s ‘UK Top 50’ two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
The Staff Machine Learning Engineer will lead the direction and roadmap for our ML platform. Deliveroo is a company driven by ML models and developing a ML platform will help us improve the productivity of our ML engineers and Data Scientists. Some of the key areas we intend to focus on include large scale feature management, model training and serving, pipeline orchestration, notebook environments, data processing, observability and ML experiment management.
What You’ll Do
- Leadership: You will forge close relationships with the Principal and Staff ML engineers as well as with ML engineering, Engineering and Product Management leaders in multiple organisations at Deliveroo and you will partner with them to deliver impact. You will help define the vision and strategy for the ML platform.
- Planning and Execution: Plan and deliver projects that impact multiple organisations.
- Innovation: Identify opportunities for technological differentiation, investment or divestment. Ensure our organisations work is aligned with broader company objectives.
- Mentorship: Provide mentorship and guidance to younger ML engineers and SWEs.
- Technical: Working on hands-on technical problems including design and implementation.
- Experience as a hands-on expert-level practitioner of machine learning.
- Experience leading large ML initiatives across cross functional teams in multiple organisations.
- Track record of building and maintaining large scale machine learning systems in production.
- Track record of conceiving of significant innovations that result in substantial positive impact to customers.
- Deep understanding of latest developments of ML systems, techniques, open source and cloud offerings
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of scaling up one of the most exciting companies in tech.