- Date Posted
- Nov. 23, 2021
At Deliveroo, it is our mission to build the definitive food company. In order to do that, we’re building a company where everyone can belong, grow and do the best work of their lives.
As Director of Learning & Development you will have the opportunity to define and lead the L&D strategy for Deliveroo globally. L&D has been identified as one of the very highest priorities for the Deliveroo People team in 2022, and we are looking for an exceptional individual who can come in and have an immediate impact, deliver traction, and bring deep L&D expertise into the team. This is a permanent role reporting into the Director of People Strategy, with high visibility and huge potential to drive significant change.
What you’ll be doing
- Manage and develop our L&D strategy & initiatives globally across all of our locations - including rollout of several new and highly impactful initiatives during 2022
- Collaborate with HR Business Partners, people strategy and Department Heads to design, develop and implement training and development opportunities for all levels of staff
- Understand and translate the business objectives, designing programmes and support to enhance the business’ capability
- Diagnose areas of optimisation, and demonstrate experience-driven problem solving abilities, specifically via enhancing online training, leadership development and personalised experiences for new starters, apprenticeships & graduates
- Build, lead and inspire the Deliveroo L&D team
- Identify and lead the relationships with our external L&D providers, to help deliver our L&D objectives
- Build cross-functional relationships with key internal stakeholders, and enforce accountability of key deliverables
- Manage the global L&D budget for all our learning activities, ensuring we’re able to effectively evaluate and measure our return where appropriate
- You will be an experienced L&D Lead that can deliver results and change in a fast-paced environment and get things done in a way that inspires others
- You’ll be a natural collaborator who knows how to build true partnerships with your department heads and work alongside our HR Business Partners - as well as representing L&D to the Exec team and inspiring your direct reports in the L&D team
- You will have been around the circuit and have connections with external training partners, as well as a solid understanding of L&D best practices
- You’ll have the ability to use data to support your strategic thinking across learning and our business areas
- You will have a passion for digital and understands how this can transform the design and development of learning initiatives on a global scale
- You’ll thrive on being outside of your comfort zone and not afraid to trial an idea and then improve on it
Our mission is to be the definitive food company. We are transforming the way the world eats by making food more convenient and accessible. We give people the opportunity to eat what they want, when and where they want it.
Our journey began with our founder Will, arriving in London and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite living in one of the world’s best cities for food. In 2013 he got on his bike and founded Deliveroo.
Fast forward to today and Deliveroo can be found in 12 markets, with over 100,000 riders delivering orders from over 140,000 restaurants and stores serving millions of customers in hundreds of cities worldwide.
Delivering great food from restaurants is how we started, but isn’t our only offering. We pioneered the delivery-only kitchen model, Deliveroo Editions, where we use data to identify gaps in the market and bring new brands and cuisines to new areas, giving people more choice in their local neighbourhood. And using our network and technology we provide a growing on-demand grocery service, which has not only brought incredible levels of convenience to our customers but has been a lifeline to so many during COVID.
We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces, and we do this in real-time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds, and the algorithms behind our marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
There are so many questions we are working on and plenty more we haven’t even encountered. How do we give low income families access to affordable healthy meals? How do we tackle waste? How can we scale our network to tens of millions of orders a day? What does a future layout of a restaurant look like? How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we take what we know about a customer and offer a personalised selection?
At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous. We are still a small team, making a very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, value autonomy and ownership, and we are always looking for new ideas.
The size of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. Only 3% of the global food market is online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of other industries, such as travel (45%) and retail (10%), and it is clear we are at the very beginning of our journey. Despite being one of the world’s fastest growing multi-billion dollar companies, we’re only just getting started.
We hope you’re as excited about the scale of the opportunity as we are and, if you share our ambition, that you’ll join us and be part of this incredible story.
Workplace & Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth and relocation.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing startups in an incredibly exciting space.