- United Kingdom
- Date Posted
- Dec. 9, 2021
The Director, Technology Recruitment supports the growth and development of Europe’s fastest growing and most exciting tech scale-ups. Deliveroo tech solves some of the world’s most interesting and toughest engineering and scale problems, building systems that serve millions of users every day by automatically managing a complex, three-sided marketplace across 11 different countries.
In this role, you’ll report to the Director, Global Recruitment and lead tech recruitment for Deliveroo globally: developing the strategy and executing the roadmap across delivery, operations, brand and attraction across engineering, product, design, data science, econometrics and research.
You’ll lead a team of (currently) 50 that is set to grow ahead of ambitious growth plans, supporting tech recruitment across multiple locations - both physical (our London HQ and upcoming hub in India) and remote (the rest of the UK, Poland, and other locations as we continue to build a remote hub), and will partner with our new CPTO on developing and driving a comprehensive tech talent strategy that will culminate in one of Europe’s largest and highest calibre technology organisations.
Not many roles have as much potential for impact on Deliveroo’s growth and success as recruitment. As one of the world’s fastest growing companies, we have a unique opportunity to create and tell one of the most compelling recruitment and talent stories yet, with Deliveroo’s Director, Technology Recruitment playing a key role in it.
What you’ll be doing
- Lead a team of high performers. Hire, lead and develop a team of world-class leads, recruiters and sourcers to support full-cycle recruiting. Develop and set clear goals, and ensure accountability and ownership.
- Develop strategy and drive execution. Partner with tech, finance and people leadership to plan and develop a short and long term talent acquisition strategy, and execute on hiring goals.
- Plan. Leverage data to drive planning and forecasting, ensuring we are resourced to support the business’ goals.
- Celebrate difference. Ensure Deliveroo’s diversity and inclusion values are embedded throughout the talent acquisition strategy, supporting our company-wide and tech diversity goals.
- Scale. Design, implement, launch and iterate on processes, programs and tools across interviewing, assessment, referrals, sourcing and automation in order create an outstanding hiring experience that’s efficient and scales.
- Measure. Deploy forecasting, reporting and analytics rigor to track key recruiting and sourcing metrics and measure progress, sharing insights and influencing the broader people and talent roadmap. Use experience, external data and internal data to benchmark our practices and identify trends, weaknesses and opportunities. Act on proposals.
- Tell the Deliveroo tech story. Establish Deliveroo as a tech employer of choice by building a joined-up talent attraction strategy, both in our home HQ location and beyond, leveraging community-building, events, our leadership and social media.
- Build a high-performance hiring culture. Champion and role-model Deliveroo’s values, and drive a positive and progressive hiring culture throughout the company that achieves and maintains a high bar for talent, and is renowned for an outstanding hiring experience.
Some of the problems you’ll be working on
- Where should we go next, geographically?
- How do we take a new tech hub location (such as Hyderbrad, India) from 0 to 100 to 500?
- How do we position and market Deliveroo as a technology employer of choice globally, and locally?
- How do we scale hiring from 400 hires per year to 1,000?
- What roles will early career talent play in the tech talent strategy, and how do we build the teams and programs to support it?
- How can we build diverse talent pipelines for the future across all stages of career (from early to apprenticeships/switchers to experienced to leadership)?
- What operations and teams do we need to build to successfully recruiter the world’s best academics and industry-switchers?
- Extensive experience leading internal tech recruitment teams at scale that have supported significant headcount growth in a fast-paced, tech-led environment that recruits at
- Significant experience in technology recruitment across all disciplines, developing and building sourcing strategies, processes and programs that support hiring exceptionally strong talent in a highly competitive market.
- An exceptionally strong people manager with extensive people management experience (leading teams of at least 30), including extensive experience managing and developing other managers.
- Track record of leveraging and leading with data; experience translating data and analytics to develop insights, drive decisions and measure impact.
- A proven ability to design, communicate and iterate on recruitment processes and programs, and instrument ways of measuring and tracking performance.
- Excellent interpersonal and stakeholder management skills, with the ability to build relationships and influence across all levels, including the most senior levels.
- Exceptionally strong written and oral communication skills, with an eye for detail and a passion for presenting data and complex information in simplified, clear, compelling ways for multiple audiences.
You will be a great fit if you are:
- A deeply curious and avid learner, constantly looking for ways to improve and creatively solve problems - both the big strategic things, as well as the smaller quick wins.
- A highly strategic operator, an excellent people manager and someone who has a demonstrably successful leadership track record and trajectory in fast-paced companies.
- Driven by seeing the achievements and progression of others you support and partner with.
- Can switch between a high level strategic mindset and detailed execution orientation seamlessly.
- Excited to help build something amazing and share it with the world.
Our mission is to be the definitive food company. We are transforming the way the world eats by making food more convenient and accessible. We give people the opportunity to eat what they want, when and where they want it.
Our journey began with our founder Will, arriving in London and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite living in one of the world’s best cities for food. In 2013 he got on his bike and founded Deliveroo.
Fast forward to today and Deliveroo can be found in 11 markets, with over 100,000 riders delivering orders from over 140,000 restaurants and stores serving millions of customers in hundreds of cities worldwide.
Delivering great food from restaurants is how we started, but isn’t our only offering. We pioneered the delivery-only kitchen model, Deliveroo Editions, where we use data to identify gaps in the market and bring new brands and cuisines to new areas, giving people more choice in their local neighbourhood. And using our network and technology we provide a growing on-demand grocery service, which has not only brought incredible levels of convenience to our customers but has been a lifeline to so many during COVID.
We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces, and we do this in real-time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds, and the algorithms behind our marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
There are so many questions we are working on and plenty more we haven’t even encountered. How do we give low income families access to affordable healthy meals? How do we tackle waste? How can we scale our network to tens of millions of orders a day? What does a future layout of a restaurant look like? How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we take what we know about a customer and offer a personalised selection?
At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous. We are still a small team, making a very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, value autonomy and ownership, and we are always looking for new ideas.
The size of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. Only 3% of the global food market is online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of other industries, such as travel (45%) and retail (10%), and it is clear we are at the very beginning of our journey. Despite being one of the world’s fastest growing multi-billion dollar companies, we’re only just getting started.
We hope you’re as excited about the scale of the opportunity as we are and, if you share our ambition, that you’ll join us and be part of this incredible story.