- Date Posted
- Nov. 12, 2021
When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 6 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 5 years and we operate in 12 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allows us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we’re just getting started!
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT’s’ list of Europe’s fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte’s ‘UK Top 50’ two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
As Head of Rider Supply, Italy, you will be responsible for defining the strategic and tactical approach to onboarding the requisite number of new riders in each city and improving the quality of the fleet. This includes, optimal vehicle type mix, improving rider participation at peak demand, average hours worked and tenure, and maximising rider engagement through the onboarding pipelines. You will work with the central teams responsible for local rider marketing, and manage the end to end conversion and onboarding processes.
You will need to possess a good blend of strategic and on-the-fly thinking, alongside a bias for action. This position is best suited for someone who can set and achieve ambitious goals, actively prioritise for the team, is not afraid to get his/her hands dirty in execution, and can remain composed in face of pressing issues. You will work closely with our rider marketing, and supply chain teams to drive cross-functional projects across a variety of business areas.
What you will be doing:
- Craft a coherent “the future of supply” vision for Italy – you will help drive the long-term roadmap, rider strategy and demand-generation for how we approach supply in the future.
- Responsible for developing and executing rider acquisition strategies for achieving business objectives.
- Lead the implementation of our hiring workflow in all cities and assure compliance with local laws.
- Long term supply planning - Work with Finance & Strategy teams to forecast longer term demand which will impact rider kit purchases & future rider marketing spend strategies.
- Strategic insights – Build analyses and insights to better understand short-term and long-term developments and opportunities for improvements in our Rider Supply.
- Building and testing new onboarding models - help craft experiments and models to be piloted throughout Italy to determine optimal supply process.
- Ensuring we hit supply targets in all cities - by monitoring every stage of supply processes to ensure we have the right size fleet in every city. Develop city-level intervention plans where needed.
- You will be responsible for setting the local rider marketing strategy and working with the central team to execute.
- Improving the effectiveness of conversion processes - whether it’s improving our comms or offering targeted incentives, increase conversion rates at every step. Work out data-driven strategies as well as unique and out-of-the-box initiatives to drive conversion.
- Autonomously design, set up, and track all processes related to rider onboarding - including target-setting, onboarding velocity, and efficiencies, right-to-work compliance and kit logistics etc.
- Leverage strong numerical, problem solving, and analytical skills to identify any issues in time.
- You will be responsible for managing 3+ local associates and 4+ external agents.
What you will need:
- Analytical - Comfortable with large quantities of data. Attentive to details. Able to draw insights from historical data and trends, consider the complexities across markets, and forecast future demand. SQL and/or Python skills are a plus.
- Excellent communicator - Able to simplify complex analyses and insights. Strong written and verbal communication skills across a varied set of stakeholders from a rider to the Managing Director.
- Collaborative - Able to work well with cross-functional, and international stakeholders.
- Adaptable Fixer - Enthusiastic to help, and flexible & resourceful in addressing both big picture and detail-oriented challenges.
- Can build “stuff” - approaches, processes, tools, and structured change methodologies.
- Inquisitive - Intellectually curious, thoughtful, and comfortable questioning the status-quo.
- Minimum 5 years of work experience in a fast-paced environment in an operations role or project management role.
- Track record of ‘getting things done’ - know when you have enough insight to make a call and apply the 80 / 20 rule for rapid high-quality decisions.
Life at Deliveroo
We are a growing team, with very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, we’re always looking for new ideas and we’re very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven’t even encountered. How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare.
We offer to all our employees:
- Become one of the key employees of a fast-growing, exciting startup changing the food delivery landscape
- Open, respectful and fun company culture
- BIG Friday lunches – Deliveroo’d to the office of course!
- Gym and public transport allowances to counteract all the amazing food!
- Have a real impact on the company’s growth and evolution
- Work with people who love what they do every day
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-up’s around.