- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Oct. 11, 2021
- Data Science
People love Discord because it connects them with people they care about - friends, family, and communities with common interests. To empower people to build genuine relationships and create belonging in their lives, Discord must provide a world-class experience across the many aspects of the service, from the trust & safety of our users to quality of service & application performance.
At Discord, we believe Safety enables belonging. The Safety organization at Discord serves our community, moderators, and internal Discord teams - all with a goal of making Discord a safe place where people can find belonging.
Discord is looking for a highly technical, hands-on, and mission-driven manager to to join and lead our Safety Data Science team. In this role, you will leverage your experience leading a world-class team to partner directly with our Safety organization (operating cross-functionally across Product, Engineering, Operations, Policy, and Data Platform) in order to set a vision for how data science can make Discord a safer place - by improving the efficacy and usage of our anti-abuse platform, deepening our quantitative understanding of safety, and driving strategic cross-functional decisions. This role reports directly into our Head of Ecosystems & Servers Data Science.
- Partner closely with product, engineering, and business teams to understand feature adoption, proactively identify opportunities for improvement, and build robust scalable tools to empower decision-making at all levels of the company
- Create novel and interpretable metrics to provide insight into the health of the Discord app and use analytics, modeling, and experimentation to understand their impact on business goals
- Transform data into information - establish hypotheses, dig deep, and seek to understand root causes - to improve the effectiveness of our marketing efforts
- Own the vision and roadmap for the Safety Data Science team, supporting a key pillar of Discord’s mission
- Build and mentor a world-class analytics team, expanding the impact of data at Discord
- In partnership with our Data leaders, inform architectural decisions, establish best practices, develop lean scalable processes, and contribute to the overall direction of the Data organization at Discord!
You Have (not hard qualifications - if you’re not sure, please apply!):
- 3+ years of leadership experience as a people manager, leading a team of 3+ data scientists. Ideally, your team would have had technical expertise covering at least two of the following: BI & analytics, machine learning, and A/B experimentation
- Excellent skills in communicating to both technical and non-technical audiences, with an ability to explain complex concepts in easy-to-understand ways
- 6+ years of industry experience in applying machine learning and/or analytics techniques to answer vague and challenging business problems
- Proficient in Python/R or SQL (any dialect) for hands-on modeling and/or analysis
- Familiarity with A/B testing principles
- A collaborative attitude and natural curiosity
- Experience with social media and/or safety aspects within digital consumer products
- Proficient in modern BI tooling (Chartio, Looker, Tableau, etc.), with an eye towards clear, rich visualizations and performance
- Experience with very large data sets and distributed computing
- Familiarity with Airflow, GCP, BigQuery
- Experience partnering with business teams in a data-driven culture
- Passion for Discord or online communities
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental, and Vision (Plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 19+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO, use-what-you-need sick days and volunteer time off
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Generous stipends for headphones, your remote work setup, and lunch on a daily basis (while we’re all remote)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
In a world of polarization, social curation, and loneliness, Discord is working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider. We believe in the value of genuine human connection, which can so easily be lost online. So we’re building a space where everyone can find belonging from the inside out. If this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!