- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Nov. 17, 2021
- Data Science
Discord is looking for a Data Science Manager for our Growth Data Science team!
At Discord, Growth Data Science Managers own the vision for their Data Science pillar, build a roadmap to achieve their vision, and drive strategic impact with their stakeholder teams (PM, Eng, Design teams) proactively and autonomously! Growth Data Science Managers lead a team of Analytics Data Scientists and extend their influence by impact oriented prioritization, develop tight and nimble operating models, and build a culture of excellence!
At Growth Data Science, we directly impact the strategy and roadmaps that improve Discord for its more than 150M (and many more future) users! If helping make Discord an even better place to hang out with your friends and communities sounds like an exciting challenge - we’d love to chat with you!
- Manage and mentor a mission-driven, world-class team of Analytics Data Scientists, expanding the impact of Data teams at Discord
- Own the vision and roadmap of a data-driven decision-making for a key Growth pillar
- Partner closely with product and engineering to proactively identify opportunities for improvement, and shape our Growth strategy and roadmap
- Develop novel and interpretable metrics to provide insight into Discord’s growth by using analytics and experimentation
- Develop and guide Data Scientists to use robust analytical frameworks for strategic analyses
- Build robust scalable tools to empower decision-making at all levels of the company
- Drive fierce prioritization to make sure we’re working on high impact analyses that best use our time and unique strengths
- In partnership with our Data leaders, inform architectural decisions, establish best practices, develop lean scalable processes, and contribute to the overall direction of the Data organization at Discord
You Have (not hard qualifications - if you’re not sure, please apply!):
- 3+ years of leadership experience as a people manager, leading a team of 3+ data scientists. Ideally, your team would have had technical expertise covering at least two of the following: BI, analytics, and A/B experimentation
- Excellent skills in communicating to both technical and non-technical audiences, with an ability to explain complex concepts in easy-to-understand ways
- Proficient in Python/R or SQL (any dialect) for hands-on analysis
- Experience with social media or within digital consumer products
- Experience with very large data sets and distributed computing
- Familiarity with how to use Machine Learning models to inform decision making at scale
- Familiarity with BigQuery
- Experience partnering with business teams in a data-driven culture
- Passion for Discord or online communities
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental, and Vision (Plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 19+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO, use-what-you-need sick days and volunteer time off
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Generous stipends for headphones, your remote work setup, and lunch on a daily basis (while we’re all remote)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
In a world of polarization, social curation, and loneliness, Discord is working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider. We believe in the value of genuine human connection, which can so easily be lost online. So we’re building a space where everyone can find belonging from the inside out. If this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!