- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Jan. 6, 2022
- Data Science
People love Discord because it connects them with people they care about - friends, family, and communities with shared interests. Tens of millions of users use our world-class audio/video calling, text chat, and collaborative functionality like streaming to communicate everyday.
The Premium Products Data Science team at Discord is responsible for growing the company's revenue to fund our mission - giving people a place to talk, build relationships, and find belonging for decades to come. Our subscription services, Nitro & Boosting, are the primary revenue drivers for the company, unblocking advanced and premium features such as personal profiles, HD video, and more for our users.
Discord is looking for a Senior Pricing Data Scientist that will lead Go-To-Market Pricing of our subscription services and future revenue streams. We are looking for an economist with experience developing pricing models for subscription services. In this role, you will partner with product and marketing teams to innovate and optimize pricing and packing through models and analysis. The role reports directly to our Head of Revenue Data Science.
- Lead the research and analysis efforts to define our pricing model, including pricing metrics, price points, and package construction
- Experiment to quantitatively find price elasticity, optimal price points, and packaging strategy
- Collaborate with product and marketing teams to drive complex pricing decisions catered to international markets
- Ensure pricing and packaging policy is personalized based on user segment
- Implement continuous pricing optimization plans
You have (not hard qualifications - if you’re not sure, please apply!):
- 3+ years of pricing experience preferably in a subscription services company
- Fluency in pricing research methodologies like conjoint, max diff, and Van Westendorp analysis
- Deep analytical skill and experience creating complex models to forecast the impact of pricing changes
- Previous experience using customer/market segmentation techniques to effectively map pricing packages to user personas, buyer personas, and/or market segments
- Proficient with Python/R, SQL, and other statistical programming languages
Other requirements (you don’t need all of these to apply!):
- Experience with technical leadership, being the point person for one or more stakeholder groups
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to deliver complicated findings and explain technical approaches to a variety of audiences
- A desire to work with amazing, passionate people who care deeply about solving challenging problems to improve Discord
- Last but not least - a collaborative attitude and a healthy dose of natural curiosity!
- Experience with product analytics and subscription side of digital consumer products
- Proficient in modern BI tooling (Chartio, Looker, Tableau, etc.) with an eye towards clear, rich visualizations and performance
- Experience with very large data sets and distributed computing
- Familiarity with BigQuery
- Experience partnering with business teams in a data-driven culture
- Passion for Discord or online communities
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental, and Vision (Plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 19+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO, use-what-you-need sick days and volunteer time off
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Generous stipends for headphones, your remote work setup, and lunch on a daily basis (while we’re all remote)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
In a world of polarization, social curation, and loneliness, Discord is working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider. We believe in the value of genuine human connection, which can so easily be lost online. So we’re building a space where everyone can find belonging from the inside out. If this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!