- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Jan. 12, 2022
- Data Science
Discord’s Machine Learning team is a mix of systems engineers, machine learning engineers and data scientists. Our mission is to use state-of-the-art machine learning techniques to build ML applications across Discord’s product surfaces and infrastructure. We use data-driven approaches, closely follow the latest research and apply cutting-edge ML techniques in order to unlock new possibilities within areas such as trust and safety, user engagement, and revenue growth.
We’re looking for a highly technical and mission-driven Staff Machine Learning Engineer specializing in behavioral modeling and analytics to improve user and community experiences on Discord. If that sounds exciting to you, read on!
What you’ll be doing
- Design and build machine learning systems to prevent spam, account abuse and other forms of malicious behavior
- Provide actionable insights to stakeholders to identify and prevent unusual and abusive patterns of user behavior
- Develop methodology and benchmarks to evaluate abuse detection systems
- Collaborate with stakeholders throughout the company such as, leaders in product, data science, and engineering.
What you should have
- You have 10+ years of experience as a Machine Learning Engineer or Data Scientist
- 8+ years professional experience, or Ph.D in a quantitative field including Computer Science, Physics, Applied Math, Statistics or other quantitative fields
- You have extensive experience leading complex technical projects with successful outcomes. You can take a high-level goal and achieve a shippable solution
- You’ve worked with complex distributed machine learning systems deployed at scale
- You keep up with the industry trends and identify new tools to use to solve technical problems
- You thrive in ambiguous environments and get excited about figuring out solutions to complex problems, and then executing on them
- Experience building and deploying Machine Learning systems in a cloud computing environment
- Experience with modern data processing stacks
Benefits And Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16 paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO, use-what-you-need sick days and volunteer time off
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Generous stipends for headphones, your remote work setup, and lunch on a daily basis (while we’re all remote)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
In a world of polarization, social curation, and loneliness, Discord is working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider. We believe in the value of genuine human connection, which can so easily be lost online. So we’re building a space where everyone can find belonging from the inside out.
If this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!