- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Oct. 11, 2021
- Design & UI
Discord asks the world to Imagine a Place. However, our users don’t just have to imagine - they get to build that place, too. The Apps team is a crucial piece, a bridge that lets users move from imagining to experiencing that place. Whether you’re an admin looking for help moderating your server or a user looking for new ways to interact with fellow server members, Discord apps and bots can push that experience to the next level.
We are looking for a designer who is passionate about product design and wants to shape the future for App developers and users alike. You will be involved in the product development process from end-to-end, brainstorming to launch. You’ll use a balance of product, interaction, and visual design skills to assess end-user desires and make it possible for developers to create imaginative, customized experiences through the Discord platform. If you’re interested in joining a fantastic team of designers that are designing features that will be used by millions of people across the world, come help us do just that.
How do I know this is for me?
You are user-, action-, and detail-orientated
You have a portfolio that demonstrates customer-obsessed problem solving across web and mobile. We are deeply interested in designers who sweat the visual details (UI) and love untangling hard conceptual problems with a sharp intuition for how people use, or wish they could use them (UX).
You can spot potential in a sea of feedback
You deeply value the power of user research and enjoy using that insight to further interact with end-customers. In this instance, a vibrant developer community where you are consistently empowering or inspiring them to build great things that translate into end-user value.
You can act on the power of user personas
You have used and wrestled with many distinct user types or personas while problem solving for both simultaneously. The Apps & API team serves a symbiotic relationship between two very distinct users: those who use apps, and the developers who build them.
What you’ll be doing
- You will report to our growing Product Design team within the Engineering, Product, Analytics and Design (EPAD) organization.
- You will embed within the Apps & API Team and partner with engineers, product managers and data scientists to oversee the user experience from idea to market.
- You will dive into research, ideate, and help inspire our mission in creating an app platform that helps developers build experiences that extend Discord function for all user types.
- You will present and communicate your designs to the team and the greater organization to build consensus around your concepts.
- You will create wire-frames, beautiful mockups, amazing prototypes, and help implement your designs to pixel perfection.
- You will test, learn, and iterate on everything you do alongside product peers.
- You will help maintain and commit to our Design pattern library.
What you should have
- You have 3+ years of experience designing modern consumer-focused products.
- You have a portfolio showing off your user experience and visual design work on both web and mobile screens.
- You have a proven desire to understand success and failure better through objective analysis.
- You have the ability to produce working or semi-functional prototypes during project planning or development phases.
- You have experience working closely with engineers, and other cross-functional peers to achieve end-customer goals.
- A high level of craft.
- Are at ease using Figma or Sketch to design.
- Experience or willingness to mentor other designers
- Experience building design systems
- Interface animation know-how
- You’ve actively participated in an open-source community.
- You’ve built or even extensively used Discord bots before.
Benefits and Perks
- Medical insurance including Health, Dental, Vision
- 18 paid holidays + 4 weeks PTO
- Unlimited sick days
- Parental Leave and fertility benefits
- Supported-employee clubs and Employee Resource Groups
- Commuter Contributions of $270 a month (pretax)
- Daily lunches and unlimited snacks
- Monthly gym and fitness stipend
Friends, coworkers, gamers, nerds, moms, dads, engineers, designers, marketers, support. Originally, we created Discord to help people come together around games. It’s been amazing to watch it grow into what it is today - a place where millions of diverse communities exist and people connect with old friends and new. Diversity and inclusiveness are a critical part of how we get to what’s next. We believe that with diversity comes a better product, better decisions, and a better work environment. As we continue to grow, our values keep us dedicated to building a company that is representative of the world we live and play in.
Discord is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting an inclusive work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value diversity, inclusion, and aim to provide a sense of belonging for everyone.