- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Aug. 16, 2021
- Design & UI
We’re looking for a UX Writer (a.k.a. content strategist) to shape the UX Writing practice at Discord. UX Writing sits within Product Design, and we work hard to shape user experiences and define the product voice. You will play a crucial part in that meaningful work.
You will collaborate closely across the company with Product Management, Product Marketing, User Research, Engineering, Customer Success, Trust & Safety, and Localization teams to engage our users and achieve our mission of creating belonging.
You’ll use design thinking, empathy, and data to write product copy for a diverse global audience. As the third member of the UX Writing team, you will help systematize our style rules and copy workflow. You will observe and document UX writing choices, translate them into guidelines and resources that will help us scale, and apply them as you write and edit your own content in our desktop and mobile interaction flows. You will absorb research findings, test our language, advocate for our users, and deliver highly accessible experiences—all while incorporating the irreverence of our brand.
What you’ll be doing
- Mix your writing, design, and strategic thinking skills to drive improvements to user experience and copy management in our rapid product development cycles
- Write and edit content in our product, including new feature user flows, microcopy, and more
- Conduct audits of our products to identify opportunities for refinement and consistency
- Lead the development of our style guide and elevate the collective writing practice of Product Design
- Contribute to our evolving design system and help build copy into our tools and processes
- Participate in Product Design team critiques and provide feedback on visual style, interface design, and interaction flows
- Support consistency and quality with a cross-functional group of writers and act as educator, consultant, and research librarian to evangelize the Discord voice across the company
What you should have
- 4+ years experience creating content for web/app products for a variety of devices and platforms
- 1+ years specializing in UX writing/content strategy
- Content portfolio—with password, if applicable—that should include, but isn’t limited to: style and formatting guidelines; specimens of UI text; direct or transactional emails; user stories, scenarios, flows, or journeys; user support, documentation, and product launch content
- Self-starter who can manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment and stay focused when faced with changing requirements
- Strong editing and proofreading skills and a solid grasp of product design methodology
- An established track record in crafting and managing successful projects from start to finish, ideally with cross-functional teams
- Proven understanding of user experience and design thinking with the ability to adapt your writing style to match a company’s brand voice
- Experience with Figma, Sketch, or other prototyping tool
- Familiar with A/B testing, UX research, or design systems
- Experienced in curriculum development and learning design
- Comfortable with, or curious about, editing frontend code
- Interested in fostering culture and processes in a growing company
Benefits and Perks
- Medical insurance including Health, Dental, Vision
- 18 paid holidays + 4 weeks PTO
- Unlimited sick days
- Parental Leave and fertility benefits
- Supported-employee clubs and Employee Resource Groups
- Commuter Contributions of $270 a month (pretax)
- Daily lunches and unlimited snacks
- Monthly gym and fitness stipend
Friends, coworkers, gamers, nerds, moms, dads, engineers, designers, marketers, support. Originally, we created Discord to help people come together around games. It’s been amazing to watch it grow into what it is today - a place where millions of diverse communities exist and people connect with old friends and new. Diversity and inclusiveness are a critical part of how we get to what’s next. We believe that with diversity comes a better product, better decisions, and a better work environment. As we continue to grow, our values keep us dedicated to building a company that is representative of the world we live and play in.
Discord is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting an inclusive work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value diversity, inclusion, and aim to provide a sense of belonging for everyone.