- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Sep. 29, 2021
The Senior Director of Tax will oversee Discord’s domestic and global tax compliance, planning, and accounting for income taxes as well as assisting with acquisitions and investments globally. You will utilize your well-rounded tax background and leadership skills to mentor and develop Discord’s growing Tax team consisting of a Tax Manager and Tax Analyst. You will also use your passion for problem solving in an exciting non-routine, dynamic environment. This is a high-visibility role that will be involved in all aspects of the Company’s tax issues, strategies and compliance including both domestic and international operations.
The ideal candidate can pair a global mindset with locally relevant execution and be able to manage evolving business priorities. You should be a team leader, problem solver and self-starter who can drive programs with the engineering team and across external strategic partner organizations. The successful candidate will display a balance of hard and soft skills, including the ability to respond quickly to changing business needs.
What you’ll be doing
- Guide implementation of tax planning opportunities, drive process efficiencies, quality improvements, and risk minimization strategies related to foreign operations
- Oversee all global direct and indirect taxes, including income, sales and use, property, and consumption-based taxes. Including actively monitoring US, state, and international tax legislative and judicial actions, analyze potential impacts/benefits, and implement mitigation or action plans for the Company
- Oversee 3rd party tax advisors and continually evolve and optimize relationships to balance in-house v. outsource tax support needs as the company scales over the next 2-5 years
- Be a strategic business partner, advising and guide domestic and international business teams in tax related issues, policies, and procedures
- Provide guidance to business on proposed and enacted tax legislation, keeping abreast of tax law changes in the US and foreign jurisdictions to manage risk and identify potential planning opportunities with the business
- Collaborate with FP&A and Treasury to design and implement tax efficient cash utilization and cash collection across the global organization and guide tax cash forecasting models
- Give tax advice on structuring acquisitions, legal entity set ups and revenue collection hubs and other global investment initiatives
- Collaborate with Corp Dev and Legal to develop and implement acquisition structuring and post-acquisition integration plans to optimize tax position.
- Provide tax guidance to Payroll and Accounting on complex compensatory equity transactions
- Support and mentor the Tax team and provide constructive feedback to help team members achieve professional goals and objectives.
What you should have
- 10+ years of tax experience mixed with Big 4, industry, and/or law firm
- Software/technology industry experience required
- Expertise in corporate tax law, US GAAP accounting principles, M&A, transfer pricing and global operations
- JD, CPA, or Masters in Taxation preferred
- Excellent interpersonal/collaboration skills, in addition to excellent written, oral and presentation skills to clearly communicate complex tax issues to non-tax audiences
- Ability to quickly understand and integrate business objectives with tax strategies, and effectively communicate tax requirements to the business.
- Deep technical experience in areas including domestic and international tax, transfer pricing and foreign indirect taxes
- Ability to think strategically and act operationally; ability to manage ambiguity, risk, and changing direction of projects and strategies
Benefits and Perks
- Medical insurance including Health, Dental, Vision
- 18 paid holidays + 4 weeks PTO
- Unlimited sick days
- Parental Leave and fertility benefits
- Supported-employee clubs and Employee Resource Groups
- Commuter Contributions of $270 a month (pretax)
- Daily lunches and unlimited snacks
- Monthly gym and fitness stipend
Friends, coworkers, gamers, nerds, moms, dads, engineers, designers, marketers, support. Originally, we created Discord to help people come together around games. It’s been amazing to watch it grow into what it is today - a place where millions of diverse communities exist and people connect with old friends and new. Diversity and inclusiveness are a critical part of how we get to what’s next. We believe that with diversity comes a better product, better decisions, and a better work environment. As we continue to grow, our values keep us dedicated to building a company that is representative of the world we live and play in.
Discord is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting an inclusive work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value diversity, inclusion, and aim to provide a sense of belonging for everyone.