- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Jan. 6, 2022
Discord is looking for an exceptional Corporate & Commercial Counsel to join our growing legal team. This is a high-impact role at one of the most interesting companies on the planet!
As Corporate & Commercial Counsel, you will help shape our strategy for growing our user base, defining our partnerships, and helping our company expand across the world. You’ll get to work with some super inspiring people, including our Business Development, Finance, Marketing, and Product teams.
Reporting to our Senior Director of Corporate & Commercial Law, you’ll have a significant impact on how the Legal team and the company grow.
- If this sounds like a fun challenge, please read on ...
What you’ll be doing
- Structure and help negotiate strategic business development deals with partners
- Develop standard forms, fallbacks, and processes that allow for scale and optionality
- Develop new policies and programs as we expand our operations across the US and into Europe and other regions
- Support the company’s corporate activities, including due diligence and integration work for acquisitions, and launching operations in new countries
What you should have
- JD from an accredited law school
- Admission to the California Bar or eligible to register as in-house counsel with the California Bar
- 5+ years combined experience at a well-respected law firm or in-house legal department
- Foundation in technology transactions with a willingness to get creative on deal terms when that’s necessary to improve our business goals
- Curiosity and ability to jump into less familiar areas and learn while doing
- Ability to work collaboratively, independently, strategically, and with sound judgment
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to manage several simultaneous projects under deadline pressure
- Commitment to diversity, inclusion, and belonging
- In-house legal department experience with a consumer-oriented tech company
- Experience drafting and negotiating deals enabling online payments and consumer transactions, and expertise in related legal and regulatory issues
- Expertise in legal and regulatory aspects of corporate transactions, marketing, or privacy
- Appreciation for absurd and improbable hypotheticals
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16 paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO, use-what-you-need sick days and volunteer time off
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Generous stipends for headphones, your remote work setup, and lunch on a daily basis (while we’re all remote)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
In a world of polarization, social curation, and loneliness, Discord is working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider. We believe in the value of genuine human connection, which can so easily be lost online. So we’re building a space where everyone can find belonging from the inside out. If this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!