- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Jun. 29, 2021
Discord is looking for an exceptional Corporate & Commercial Counsel to join our growing legal department. This is a high-impact role at one of the most interesting companies on the planet!
As Corporate & Commercial Counsel, you will help shape our strategy for growing our user base, defining our partnerships, and helping our company expand across the world. You’ll get to work with some super inspiring people, including our Business Development, Finance, Marketing, and People teams.
Reporting to our Senior Director of Corporate & Commercial Law, you’ll be the first lawyer to join this growing part of our Legal team, and you will have a significant impact on how the Legal team and the company grow.
If this sounds like a fun challenge, please read on ...
What you’ll be doing
- Structure and help negotiate business development deals with partners, including major game consoles, game publishers, influencers, brands, and new media content services
- Provide practical advice to help the business make informed decisions about risk
- Develop standard forms and processes that allow for scale and optionality
- Provide legal support for the company’s user acquisition programs, including paid media buys and joint promotions
- Develop new policies and programs as we expand our operations across the US and into Europe and other regions
- Support the company’s corporate activities, including due diligence and integration work for acquisitions, and launching operations in new countries
What you should have
- JD from an accredited law school
- Admission to the California Bar or eligible to register as in-house counsel with the California Bar
- 5+ years combined experience at a well-respected law firm or in-house legal department
- Foundation in technology transactions with a willingness to get creative on deal terms when that’s necessary to improve our business goals
- Curiosity and ability to jump into less familiar areas and learn while doing
- Ability to work collaboratively, independently, strategically, and with sound judgment
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to manage several simultaneous projects under deadline pressure
- Commitment to diversity, inclusion, and belonging
- In-house legal department experience with a consumer-oriented tech company
- Experience with the legal aspects of launching and managing international operations for a U.S.-based company
- Expertise in legal and regulatory aspects of corporate transactions, consumer protection, marketing, privacy, or payments
Benefits and Perks
- Medical insurance including Health, Dental, Vision
- 18 paid holidays
- Unlimited sick days
- Parental Leave and fertility benefits
- Supported-employee clubs and Employee Resource Groups
- Commuter Contributions of $270 a month (pretax)
- Daily lunches and unlimited snacks
- Monthly gym and fitness stipend
Gamers, nerds, moms, dads, engineers, designers, marketers, support. We created Discord to help people come together around games. It’s been amazing to watch it grow into what it is today - a place where millions of diverse communities exist and people connect with old friends and new. Diversity and inclusiveness are a critical part of how we get to what’s next. We believe that with diversity comes a better product, better decisions, and a better work environment. As we continue to grow, our values keep us dedicated to building a company that is representative of the world we live and play in.
Discord is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting an inclusive work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value diversity, inclusion, and aim to provide a sense of belonging for everyone.