- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Jun. 2, 2021
A high-impact Legal role at one of the most interesting companies on the planet.
As Discord’s Director of IP and Litigation, you’ll be part of our growing legal team. Reporting to our Chief Legal Officer, you’ll help design and manage our IP and Litigation strategies as we launch new products and expand our user base across the world.
Together with your peers managing other Law and Policy matters, you’ll form a team whose main goal is to ensure that our users are safe and that our product serves as a place where hundreds of millions of people connect and find belonging. To top it all off, you’ll play an essential part to help shape the culture, values, and priorities of our Law & Policy team.
If this sounds like a fun challenge, please read on ...
What you’ll be doing
- Partner with our engineering and product leaders to decide what Discord-developed technology deserves careful protection and what we can share with the world through publications and open source licensing
- Design and execute a pro-active program to bring enforcement actions against those who violate our platform policies and API rules
- Partner with our Marketing leaders on worldwide protection for our valuable brand
- Elegantly and efficiently extricate Discord from lawsuits relating to user-generated content
- Fend off patent trolls
- Coordinate company responses to regulator and law enforcement inquiries
- Oversee any employee investigations and employee-related litigation
- Serve as an expert resource for our Trust & Safety team on nuanced or first-impression IP and litigation-related questions
- Support the personal development and career growth of other team members
What you should have
- JD from an accredited law school
- Admission to the California Bar or eligible to register as in-house counsel with the California Bar
- Experience at a well-respected law firm
- Strong knowledge of how to bring and defend civil actions in U.S. federal and state courts
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment, consistently making good decisions under tight deadlines
- Commitment to diversity, inclusion, and belonging
- In-house legal department experience with a consumer-oriented company
- Ability to develop and execute successful brand protection strategies on a global basis
- Experience coordinating litigation and regulatory matters outside the United States on behalf of a U.S. company
- Understanding of competition law issues relating to global internet platforms
- Programming and/or gaming skills
Benefits and Perks
- Medical insurance including Health, Dental, Vision
- 13 paid holidays
- Unlimited sick days
- Parental Leave and fertility benefits
- Supported-employee clubs and Employee Resource Groups
- Commuter Contributions of $270 a month (pretax)
- Daily lunches and unlimited snacks
- Monthly gym and fitness stipend
Friends, coworkers, gamers, nerds, moms, dads, engineers, designers, marketers, support. Originally, we created Discord to help people come together around games. It’s been amazing to watch it grow into what it is today - a place where millions of diverse communities exist and people connect with old friends and new. Diversity and inclusiveness are a critical part of how we get to what’s next. We believe that with diversity comes a better product, better decisions, and a better work environment. As we continue to grow, our values keep us dedicated to building a company that is representative of the world we live and play in.
Discord is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting an inclusive work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value diversity, inclusion, and aim to provide a sense of belonging for everyone.